Trio of former women’s hockey players transfer to Ohio State

Three former women’s hockey players have landed at Ohio State. Photo(s) Credit: Nathan Breisinger.

Nearly two weeks after the decision to cut RMU men’s and women’s hockey, we have our first major transfers as Raygan Kirk, Lexi Templeman, and Emily Curlett have all transferred to Ohio State University.

Three of RMU’s strongest players from last season’s CHA championship team will continue their hockey careers in one of the top hockey schools in the NCAA.

Ohio State is a part of the Western Collegiate Hockey Association and has continuously been one of the top-ranked teams in the nation. Last season, the Buckeyes finished the regular season 13-7 and making it all the way to the NCAA semifinals where they lost to Wisconsin 3-2.

Before the cancellation of the team, Robert Morris proved to be another up-and-coming school that could compete with the likes of Wisconsin and Ohio State. Now, three key pieces from the organization have joined the Buckeyes to solidify their depth.

Both Emily Curlett and Lexi Templeman are coming back for their fifth season using their extra year of COVID eligibility. Templeman, the former captain for Robert Morris was one of the most prolific scorers for the team. Her ability to win faceoffs and set up plays allowed her to finish fourth in RMU women’s hockey’s all-time point leaders with 128.

As for Curlett, her goal in the NCAA tournament against Northeastern had her only one point shy of tying the record in defensive points at RMU, a record that she will never get a chance to break. Her shot and ability to quarterback a powerplay will definitely be of use to Buckeyes head coach Nadine Muzerall.

Raygan Kirk provided stellar goaltending for Robert Morris with a .931 save percentage and a 2.00 GAA over her two seasons on campus. Her calm and collected demeanor allowed her to steal games for Robert Morris and she finished her RMU career with a 23-6-9 record.

We wish all the best to these athletes and their families on this transition and hope that the remaining athletes left stranded by this decision can find homes soon as well.