Robert Morris University to discontinue Division I hockey programs

RMU has discontinued its men’s and women’s hockey programs.

Ethan Morrison

This afternoon Robert Morris University announced that it will no longer field their NCAA Division I men’s and women’s ice hockey teams. The decision was made not in a press conference or a proper meeting rather, in a Tweet by the university’s admin.

It is unclear the main motivation on why this decision was made but all signs point towards financial issues.

In a statement made by university president Dr. Chris Howard, Howard stated, “We are saddened for the student-athletes who will be unable to continue in their sport at Robert Morris University and are committed to assisting them during this difficult time. However, this is the best course of action to leverage our strategic assets and position us for future growth.”

Vice President and Director of Athletics Chris King said in a statement to KDKA reporter Rich Walsh, “Today is a difficult day for RMU Athletics. The decision to discontinue the men’s and women’s hockey programs was not made lightly by the university. It doesn’t detract from the history of our hockey programs, which found success on the ice and in the classroom. We are thankful for the impact our student-athletes, coaches, and support staff have made on the department, university, and local community.

The university said that it will honor all scholarships of players that are affected by the move and will have support services available for student-athletes. Any student-athletes that choose to transfer will not have to sit out a season of competition.

Approximately 55 student-athletes and seven staff positions will be impacted by the move as well as countless others that have been involved with what once was the only division, one hockey team, in Pittsburgh.

Stay tuned for more in this developing story from our entire team here at CSN.