RMU finishes first at the Northern Kentucky Fall Collegiate Classic

Golf ball near green. Image Credit: Golfible

Michael Sciulli, Sports Copy Editor

BATAVIA, Ohio— The Robert Morris University golf team is coming home from the Northern Kentucky Fall Collegiate Classic with two pieces of hardware. RMU emerged from the final round of the tournament with the best team score and freshman Chase Miller had the best individual score as well. The Colonials entered the final day of the tournament sitting one stroke off the lead and freshman Chase Miller was leading the field for individuals.

This victory for the Colonials marks the 10th consecutive season with a tournament victory. This marks the first RMU victory the Colonials won the Titans Motown Collegiate last October. As a team, RMU shot an 865 (+13) which was three strokes ahead of the host, Northern Kentucky who shot 868 (+16) as a team.

Miller led the way for the Colonials by shooting a 210 (-3) which was three strokes ahead of the rest of the pack. Other key performers for the Colonials include Max Palmer who shot two-over par at 215, this was good enough to tie Palmer for fifth place at the tournament.

Bryce Gorrell also finished in the tournament’s top 10 as he posted a score of 218 (+5) which was good enough to earn him the sole position of the ninth spot on the leaderboard. David Szymanski also finished within the tournament’s top 20 golfers when he finished in a tie for 17th place with a respectable score of 222 (+9).

The Colonials will be back in action again next Sunday when RMU will travel to Apalachin, NY where they will compete in the Matthews Auto Collegiate Invitational at The Links at Hiawatha Landing.