Colonial Sports Network

Colonial Sports Network

Colonial Sports Network

Colonial Sports Network

Colonial Sports Network

Photo credit: Cam Wickline
TJ Wainwright Enters Transfer Portal
Kevin PlowchaApril 16, 2024

On Tuesday afternoon, reporter George Michalowski announced that Robert Morris men's basketball guard TJ Wainwright has entered the transfer portal. Wainwright is the fifth...

#FormerColonialWatch: Furman South Inducted Into Quaker Valley Hall of Fame

RMU Athletics
South played at RMU from 2008 to 2012 and became a full-time NHL referee in 2021

Former Colonial hockey player from 2008 to 2012, Furman South, has been inducted into the Quaker Valley Hall of Fame. He has an impressive hockey resume; this is just the latest achievement to get added to his name.

Coming from Quaker Valley in Sewickley, Pa., he is the first hockey player to be inducted into the school’s Hall of Fame.

After his illustrious hockey career, South has recently begun his new career as a full-time NHL referee. Since 2021, he has worked in more than 200 NHL games and refereed his first NHL game on April 6, 2017.

Graduating from RMU in 2012, South was a predominant player under head coach Derek Schooley throughout his four years with the Colonials. He played in 133 college games, scoring 11 goals and putting up 20 assists.

In his time with Robert Morris, South won Student-Athlete of the Year for 2010-2011. With that honor, he also received the Atlantic Hockey Individual Sportsmanship Award.

During his career, he helped lead the team to the two-game sweep at Miami Ohio’s No. 1 ranked team. In his senior year, South was a pivotal part of the country’s best penalty-killing unit in the NCAA. That year, they successfully killed over 90% of the opposition’s power plays.

Growing up in nearby Sewickley, South, has left his mark on the Quaker Valley hockey program. Throughout his high school career, South ranks first in multiple statistics. Some of those records include most goals in a season, career goals, and most hat tricks in both a season and overall for a career.

He was the first Quaker Valley player to attain 100 points in a single season. Throughout his sophomore season, he produced 59 goals and 41 assists in 2003-04.

In three of his four years in high school, he was the team’s leading scorer every season. He finished his illustrious career with 250 points, with 149 being through goals and 101 by way of assists.