Kevin Plowcha April 16, 2024

#FormerColonialWatch: Five Former Colonials Eligible for PWHL Draft

Emily+Curlett+is+PWHL+draft+eligible+and+was+an+assistant+captain+in+2021+and+was+a+key+part+of+the+CHA+title.+
Ethan Morrison
Emily Curlett is PWHL draft eligible and was an assistant captain in 2021 and was a key part of the CHA title.

The new Professional Women’s Hockey League Draft is coming up as it is set for Monday, Sept. 18. As 268 players declared for the draft, five former Colonials are also eligible to hear their names called.

According to the PWHL, the rules for the draft are that the PWHL Draft follows the league’s initial 10-day free agency period where 18 players (three per team) were signed to Standard Player Agreements (SPAs) between Sept. 1-10.

Those foundational players include Boston’s Aerin Frankel (G), Megan Keller (D), and Hilary Knight (F); Minnesota’s Kendall Coyne Schofield (F), Kelly Pannek (F), and Lee Stecklein (D); Montreal’s Ann-Renée Desbiens (G), Marie-Philip Poulin (F), and Laura Stacey (F); New York’s Alex Carpenter (F), Abby Roque (F), and Micah Zandee-Hart (D); Ottawa’s Emily Clark (F), Brianne Jenner (F), and Emerance Maschmeyer (G); and Toronto’s Renata Fast (D), Sarah Nurse (F), and Blayre Turnbull (F).

Collectively, the decorated group of Canadian and United States National Women’s Team players have won 38 Olympic medals and 117 medals at the IIHF Women’s World Championship.

Minnesota holds the first pick, and then Toronto, New York, Ottawa, and Montreal will have the last pick.

Brittany Howard: RMU 2013-2018

Howard finished her career with the Colonials at 181 points, 79 goals, and 102 assists. She also wore the “A” as assistant captain for the team in 2016-2018. Last year with the Toronto Six she was not only able to win the Isbel Cup but was also able to contribute to the title with 16 goals 10 assists for 26 points. Howard would be a smart pick if any team is looking to have a forward who can’t only contribute on the ice but also off the ice as the leader in the dressing room.

Lexi Templeman: 2017-2021

Templeman finished her time with the Colonials as the last team captain in program history. At RMU she had 127 points, 34 goals, and 93 assists. As her time ended in Moon Township, she led the Colonials to a CHA title. She had five goals and eight assists in her last year with the Six. If your team needs a setup woman, Templeman is your pick.

Emily Curlett: 2017-2021

Curlett was a defensive stalwart for the Colonials. She had 91 points, 43 goals, and 48 assists in her time. She was an assistant captain in 2021 and was a key part of the CHA title. Last year, she spent time with Team Adidas. If your team needs help at the blue line, you need Curlett on your roster.

Arielle DeSmet: 2018-2021

DeSmet was a part of the Syracuse Orange last year where she had a .897 save percentage. During her time at RMU, her best year was 2020-21 when she had a .926 save percentage. She will be a graduate assistant for the Lindenwood Lions who also play in the CHA. If your team needs some solid goaltending, keep DeSmet on your radar.

Meeri Räisänen: 2010-2011

Räisänen is one of the most decarded former Colonials. In her short time with the Colonials she had a .889 save percentage, and last year with the Connecticut Wales she had a .894 save percentage. She has spent time in international play for her home country of Finland. If your team is looking for a veteran in the crease then you might want to look for the 33 year old Finn Räisänen.