RMU Travels to Rhode Island for Conference Matchup Versus Bryant

Coming off of a loss in the first conference game of the year last week versus Gardner-Webb, the Colonials will look to bounce back this week as the team continues their conference schedule with a road test against Bryant.

Last season these two teams met at Joe Walton Stadium where the Bulldogs came out victorious over the Colonials. Against Bryant, RMU has a record of three wins and 10 losses with the last win for RMU coming back in 2019.

I was able to catch up with Head Coach Bernard Clark Jr. about what he sees in this week’s matchup.

“Bryant is a team that is going to play all four quarters, they fight, they are a tough team they have been doing that every year. Their record is like ours with two wins, but it is a situation where you watch the games and they are in every game. They are a team that is going to fight till the end and battle.”

Playing back to back weeks on the road is not ideal but Coach Clark is not worried about the road trip, he says he just wants his guys to be ready to play.

“I am not worried too much about the road game, it is more about getting them ready to play, that is the thing that is important to me. To help these guys understand what are you doing to help us win. That was the rally cry for this week. Last week I was pleased with the second half, I wasn’t pleased with the game obviously it was a disappointment but in the second half we saw the guys fighting.”

Anthony Chiccitt will be starting his sixth game in a row this week. Last week on the road Chiccitt went 26-for-43 passing for 179 yards and did not throw a touchdown. This was the first game all season where Chiccitt was unable to throw a touchdown pass.

On the receiving side of the ball the Colonials were led last week by Chaese Jackson who led with 10 catches for 58 yards with his long being 14 yards. Jackson has now led the team in back to back games in receiving yards and has become second on the team in receptions, yards, and tied for touchdowns.

Coach Clark was able to talk about Jackson’s play so far this season

“Well the great thing about Chaese and Landon and the tight end room right now is Chaese is a veteran, this is his fifth year, he is a grad. Chaese is doing a great job for us and he also has a lot of influence in that room because of how he is playing. We want him to continue playing hard.”

Robert Morris will once again look to get the run game going this week as it was nonexistent on the road versus Gardner-Webb. RMU averaged 1.0 yard per carry for a total of only 33 yards on 34 attempts last week.

The run game for the Colonials has yet to get going through the first 6 weeks of the season as they still have yet to find that one break out player who will get majority of the carries for the rest of the season.

RMU will be on the road Saturday Oct 14 to face off against Bryant with kickoff set for 4 p.m. on ESPN+.