Football Comes from Behind, Earns Back to Back Wins in Conference Play

Photo credit: Malena Kaniuff

MOON TOWNSHIP– After last week’s successful road trip versus conference leaders in Southeastern Missouri, the Colonials returned home for another conference game against Charleston Southern.

Coming into this game Robert Morris didn’t have a good overall history versus the Buccaneers having a record of 1-2 after losing last year at home by a score of 34-21.

This year’s matchup went a lot better for the Colonials as they walked away with the victory by a final score of 14-12.

After some late dramatics to end the game with Charleston Southern blocking a field goal and Zach Tanner fumbling the victory formation knee. Head Coach Bernard Clark Jr. spoke on how he was processing the win.

“We got a flare for the dramatic. We want to get a blocked field goal and fumble the victory snap,” coach Clark said. “Our guys played well. They believe in each other, and while believe in each other they will do whatever they can to win the football game. They are doing a great job at just getting wins”.

Coming into this game, the Colonials were already down their starting quarterback Anthony Chiccitt, who was in concussion protocol for this game.

Stepping up was backup quarterback Tyler Szalkowski, he was unable to finish the game after taking a hit that put him in concussion protocol. Up steps Zach Tanner, who has been the third-string quarterback for this team all season and only saw his first action when he ran on the field today.

Head Coach Bernard Clark Jr. spoke on the mentality that Zach showed today, being able to lead this team to victory.

“That’s how you praise him. he was ready no matter what,” Coach Clark said. “Coach Firm did a great job getting him ready in case something happened. Zach steps in and we have confidence in him, once guys start believing in each other and they know the coaches believe in them, they are going to play well”.

Zach made the plays when they mattered, leading the team on two touchdown drives, one of them being as soon as he stepped on the field. Tanner did it through the air, going 4-for-7 for 41 yards. the main focus for Zach today, though, was his ability to scramble when needed. Zach carried the ball six times for 64 yards and accounted for both of the team’s touchdowns.

“He did a great job when his read wasn’t there he took off with the ball, he did a great job running the ball today,” Coach Clark said.

The offense for this team was not able to put up much until Tanner stepped into the ballgame after being shut out in the first half, the team had the right mentality to step back on the field and get the job done.

Defense for the Colonials might have been the story of the game. It was a bend-don’t-break mentality for them as they did give up 393 yards of total offense but only allowed one touchdown and two field goals. This team never broke.

Head Coach Bernard Clark Jr. praised his defense’s performance today for not breaking and standing strong.

“The biggest thing with the defense, which was kind of frustrating, was that we were giving up big plays every single time, but we weren’t breaking. It is a situation where we were giving up too many yards,” Coach Clark said. In the end, we needed them to step up and they stepped up and did a great job.

This game marks back-to-back wins for the first time since 2019 when they were in the NEC conference. I asked Coach Clark what he looks to build on for the final week or if he will enjoy this one.

“I’m going to enjoy this one at the moment right now, 24 hours to be happy. We understood that we just have to keep it going, every week, it is 1-0. Once this is out of the book 24 hours, we will start with the next 1-0”.

Robert Morris will return home next week for senior day and the season finale. The Colonials will welcome Eastern Illinois to Joe Walton Stadium for their first meeting. Kickoff will be set for November 18 at noon.