Kevin Plowcha April 16, 2024

Cross Country Hosts 2023 RMU Invitational

Sophomore+Tyler+Paszkowski+leads+his+team+off+the+start+
Payton Hostetler
Sophomore Tyler Paszkowski leads his team off the start

The RMU men’s and women’s cross country teams participated in their annual invitational this weekend at Youthtowne Park. After a hard-fought race, the men came out in third and the women in fifth.

The Colonials faced heavy pressure on both sides from Bucknell University, who won the meet by 24 points for the men and 40 points for the women. Sophomore Tyler Paszkowski made a valiant effort, flying through mile one right next to first-place finisher Henry Didden from Bucknell. Paszkowski finished 12th overall with an 8k time of 24:55.97, adding 11 points to the Colonials’ score.

On the women’s side, RMU sophomore Julia Dill led the Colonials, placing 23rd with a 5k time of 19:00.7. Dill finished her first mile in 5:55.99, eventually settling into an average pace of 6:07. The Women’s Colonials chased West Virginia University runners Alexis Lamb and Audrey Hall, who placed first and second with just a four-second gap.

Both teams stuck together on the course. The men finished with a gap time of 1:00, and the women a gap of 1:56. The Colonials entered the meet with one season win under their belt after finishing first at the Fisher Invitational. This was the first 8k of the year for the men’s team.

Each team comprises mostly underclassmen, so the Colonials hope to gain additional experience and strength as the season progresses and the team dynamic develops over the next several years.