Kevin Plowcha April 16, 2024

NCAA Division I Council grants immediate eligibility for all DI athletes, Kahliel Spear cleared to play

The NCAA DI Council granted a waiver to allow all DI transfer student-athletes in all sports to compete immediately this year, allowing men’s basketball forward Kahliel Spear to play. Photo Credit: Bucknell University Athletics

On Wednesday night, the NCAA Division I Council approved that all transfers will be immediately eligible for the 2020-21 college basketball season.

This comes just weeks after Kahliel Spear, an RMU transfer from Bucknell, got his waiver denied and was set to sit out the 2020-21 season due to the NCAA transfer rules.

With the new rule, this means that Spear will be immediately eligible to compete this season on the team. This is a huge boost for the Colonials’ roster as Spear brings explosiveness and defensive prowess to the floor as he led the Bison in blocks last season with 26.

With DI athletes given immediate eligibility for this season, this might be the last time athletes will have to navigate their way through the murky waters of the transfer portal, as the Division-I council will hold a vote in January in regards to the implementation of the permanent one time transfer rule.

This rule will allow athletes to transfer and will become immediately eligible and will not have to sit out during the upcoming season. Players who transfer to a new program during the current season will not be eligible until the next season of play.

As for Colonials, it will be interesting to see how Spear will fit into the rotation with his versatile skillset the next time Robert Morris hits the floor.