The Colonials failed to score a run in both games of the doubleheader against Youngstown
Softball Shutout in Doubleheader vs Youngstown State
Colby Sherwin and Joshua Woodman April 9, 2024

MOON TOWNSHIP-- After dropping two of three, the Colonials looked to improve to above .500 in Horizon League play when they hosted the Youngstown State Penguins for a doubleheader. These...

Men’s basketball travels to Youngstown State

MOON TOWNSHIP– The Robert Morris men’s basketball team (2-7) looks to bounce back Wednesday night after a tough loss on the road at Cleveland State (4-4) on Saturday afternoon. RMU travels to Youngstown State (4-4) in the hopes of bouncing back against another Ohio team.

Previewing RMU

Robert Morris enters Youngstown after a turnover-filled matchup with Cleveland State, recording a season-high 20. Field goal shooting was also an issue with Robert Morris, who shot 40% from the field. Josh Williams led the charge for the Colonials with 17 points in 33 minutes.

RMU will look to bounce back from their 70-59 loss on a more positive note against another average team in YSU. Taking care of the ball, smart shot selection and ball movement will be important factors if Colonials wish to bounce back to the win column.

Scouting Youngstown State

The Youngstown State Penguins enter Wednesday night’s game coming off of an 88-72 loss at Central Michigan (6-2), which also took place on Saturday. The Penguins got dominated in the paint with a 38-26 differential, but do have some strengths. YSU takes care of the ball and has a strong bench, recording 37 bench points against the Chippewas. Youngstown will host Robert Morris in a battle between two teams hoping for a bounce-back performance. YSU is 3-0 at home so far in the young season.

Players to watch

Josh Williams (Robert Morris)

The senior has been the Colonials’ most consistent scoring threat so far this season. He is averaging a team-high 12.9 ppg and is tied for the most steals with 13. Williams will continue to be a big shot maker for Robert Morris and will be depended on if Robert Morris is going to take a win on the road.

AJ Bramah (Robert Morris)

The junior forward has also played a nice role for Robert Morris. The junior college transfer has averaged 9.4 ppg, second to Williams, and has been the Colonials’ best rebounder, averaging 8.1 rebounds per game.

Darius Quisenberry (Youngstown State)

Quisenberry has performed well for the Penguins in all eight games they have played. The sophomore guard leads the team in scoring (15.6 ppg), steals (17), assists (25) and other statistical categories. He will be looked at as the most impactful player on the floor Wednesday night.

Michael Akuckie (Youngstown State)

Akuckie, a junior forward, has been a solid player for Youngstown State. He is second on the team in scoring (8.3 ppg) and rebounding (40). His production as a second threat to Quisenberry will be important for the Penguin offense.

Robert Morris is 2-7 on the season and desperately needs a win to get back on the right track. Youngstown State is favored by seven in the matchup, but I am going with the upset. Andy Toole will have his team ready to play and record an impressive out of conference victory Wednesday night.

Prediction: RMU 67-64