Robert Morris Takes Down Rival for First Win in Over a Year

Taylor Roberts
Anthony Chiccitt catches a touchdown patch in the 31-21 win over St. Francis

MOON TOWNSHIP– With the first night game since 2017 on the schedule there were always going to be some fireworks in store for this matchup. This night game delivered for the Colonials and for their fans as RMU (1-1) comes out victorious vs Saint Francis (0-2) with a final score 31-21.

After a big defeat in the season opener and winless in their last 12 games the Colonials were in need of a big performance and did, they get it. A rivalry game always has the capability to become a wakeup call for a team and this matchup did bring the best out of them.

Winless in so long players and coaches might start to feel some pressure to deliver, and when that doesn’t happen the stresses of being winless just continues to pile up. Coach Clark was able to go through some of his emotions on the team’s big win tonight.

“Well I finally got that monkey off my back, it’s one of those situations I feel real great about it.”

When teams need you the most, big players step up. Backup quarterback going into the first game of the season but starter this week, Anthony Chiccitt stepped up when his number was called and boy did he deliver. Chiccitt went 21-27 for 281 yards totaling in three TD’s. What surprised everyone the most is that Chiccitt also caught a touchdown pass too.

Coach Clark talked about his QB’s performance.

“Anthony played unbelievable. Like I told you before, nothing much rattles him, he’s one of those guys he’s gone through a lot in his life where a football game is kind of minor to him. He plays up to his audience, he did a great job tonight of moving us down the field. Unbelievable night.”

The most common target for Anthony Chiccitt tonight was Noah Robinson, who played a crucial role in tonight victory catching 8 of his 9 targets and going for 138 yards receiving and 1 touchdown.

Coach Clark was able to talk about the partnership that Noah Robinson is building with the quarterbacks.

“Noah has been doing this since the spring when we brought him in here. He’s been doing a great job at getting open in practice and been doing great with all the quarterbacks. Noah is going to be a great player for us.”

The quarterback and wide receiver relationship might be one of the most important on the field because you have to be in constant communication with each other and be in the same mindset constantly. Robinson was able to speak about his relationship with Anthony Chiccitt and why they connected so well tonight.

“That’s my dawg, I mean the whole team for real, we all come in here and bust our behinds everyday. We come to work, and we showed it today.”

Talking about his performance today, Robinson couldn’t help but smile with the stat line he put up. He talked about a new beginning for this program.

“This is the standard, we’re excited but we expect to do this every game we play, so we aren’t expecting nothing less than this next week.”

The whole team performed tonight, from the offense controlling the time of possession to the defense creating pressure and forcing three turnovers. Coach Clark spoke about his defense’s mentality when causing those turnovers after giving up long plays.

“They are bend but don’t break defense. They gave up some chunks but at the same time they made the adjustments on the sideline.”

Contributions come from everywhere, and good things are bound to happen when the whole team produces. Coach Clark called this a “team victory” saying one thing he always preaches.

“It’s not about me, it’s about we.”

A rivalry win like this can ignite a team for the rest of the season.

RMU will be back in action next Saturday, Sept. 16 at Youngstown State with kickoff set for 2 p.m.