Breisinger: Just A Baldwin Kid With A Dream

Nathan Breisinger

* Editor’s Note: This piece is part of the 2023 Senior Sendoff series. You can read the whole series by clicking here.

As I sit here preparing to write one last article for a student publication, flashbacks and memories spin through my head of the years I’ve spent writing as an aspiring journalist from the Purbalite at Baldwin all the way through the past four years with RMU Sentry Media and specifically Colonial Sports Network.

Since I was young, I’ve always had a fascination with newspapers and reading about sports. My dad would stick the sports section in front of me and I would spend Sunday afternoons reading through the latest stories, stats, standings and whatever neat tidbit the paper had that day.

I knew early on that I had a passion for sports, and once I knew I was not good enough to play them, I knew I wanted to talk and write about them.

My youthful experiences led me to one day take a newspaper elective in high school. Not only did I like that class far better than any other class I took during my time at Baldwin, but it molded me into the writer and journalist I am today.

Coming out of high school, I was weighing several different colleges but ultimately chose RMU thanks to a Baldwin connection I met the first day I stepped on campus for a tour. I walked into the Academic Media Center and explored the incredible resources the school had for people that wanted to get into media.

I peered into the newsroom from the hallway next to the control room and noticed the “don’t tap the glass, it scares the writers” sign and I knew that would be my home for the next four years.

Throughout the semesters, it’s arguable that I spent more time in the newsroom and AMC than I did in the cafeteria, any classroom and probably more than my own dorm. It became the hub of everything I did.

I worked on my craft as a writer, reporter, videographer, photographer, editor, on-air talent and producer. The resources and faculty provided me with everything I needed to excel during my time at Robert Morris in my future career.

Colonial Sports Network was established during my freshman year and I have grown with it every year. I started off as a young college writer with a good foundation and quickly developed into an extremely versatile media professional.

During my time with the website, I have fulfilled roles as Social Media Director, Multimedia Editor and eventually in my most recent position, Editor-in-Chief.

While it was not always easy, my time with CSN was extremely memorable and rewarding. Not only did I spend countless hours in the newsroom, but I also had the opportunity to be credentialed to campus sporting events as well as covering the teams on the road.

My fondest memories will easily be the trips CSN has allowed me and others to go on. From my first trip covering an NCAA women’s hockey tournament in Erie to Rupp Arena in Kentucky to Dayton Arena when the Colonials faced the Flyers in the fall. All of these trips will be something I will cherish forever.

On top of that, CSN has given me the opportunity to work alongside some of my closest friends. The connections I have built with those working for CSN is something I will never take for granted.

As I walk out of the newsroom one last time, I can say that CSN, the AMC and RMU have fully prepared me for the future and whatever that may entail.

Thank you to those who have supported me over the years and have witnessed CSN grow. I am super excited to see where the website goes in the future.

These past four years will forever have a special place in my heart and be treasured.

Thank you,