Men’s Soccer in the Summer: No Such Thing as Offseason

Bryan Akongo/Twitter

Bryan Akongo (above) was among five players who played on the local Pittsburgh Hotspurs First Team, scoring eight goals in the NPSL

Samantha Dutch

College athletes know that there is no such thing as offseason, that practicing their sport all year round is to be expected. For Robert Morris soccer, they take that to a whole new level by playing in summer leagues on their sunny offseason.

In just a few days the Colonials will be hitting the pitch to get started in game play, but it won’t feel unfamiliar as every member of the team has been involved in game play for various summer leagues. The team began their season with two exhibition matches, the first one at Pitt on Aug. 13 where they came out on top with a score of 1-0 and a 0-0 draw to Mount St. Mary’s at home on Aug. 20.

Staying close to campus and continuing to represent the city, six of the Colonials shared their talents with Pittsburgh Hotspurs Men’s First Team; incoming Ghanian freshman William Afawubo, Bryan Akongo, Nolan Hutter, Charlie Lawrence, Gabe Norris, and Colton Spence.

The team finished second of five teams in their Rust Belt rank in the Midwest Conference with a record of 8-4. Throughout their season sophomore Akongo scored eight goals tying for fourth in the Midwest Division, with sophomore Norris and freshman Afawubo having one a piece.

Also in the Rust division of the NPSL, Anass Hadran, Frederich Petrelli, and Owen Jowett representing the Erie Commodores. Sophomore Petrelli served as the team’s starting goalkeeper.

Just a state down, Hugo Kadima and Noe Bijou represented Lionsbridge FC in Virginia, who were champions of the Chesapeake division in USL League 2. This was a huge milestone for the amateur team as they had a record of 13-0-2 and this was their first division title ever.

Defender Jacob Haskins represented Kings Hammer FC in USL League 2, which finished second of six in the Valley Division.

Staying close to home and also playing in USL League 2, Connor Hain represented Cleveland Force and had some shots on goal as a midfielder. The rest of the Colonials also went back home to show some hometown pride.

Twins Logan and Chase Gilley and Logan Bellina represented Charlotte Independence in North Carolina. Bellina played in the senior USL League 1 which placed fifth overall in standings, and the Gilley twins played for Charlotte Independence 2 in USL League 2. Chase scored three goals, tying for second on the team, while Logan had two.

Before he comes all the way to Moon Township, freshman Alex Lorigny represented his country of France playing for Vendée Fontenay Foot.

Freshman Jonah Valmonte represented FC 1749 in Virginia before he hopes to make his mark with the Colonials this season.

The Colonials open their season on Aug. 25 at West Virginia.