Megan Callahan stays in Horizon League, transfers to Youngstown State

Megan Callahan announced this morning that she was grad-transferring to Youngstown State, remaining in the Horizon League. Photo Credit: Thomas Ognibene

After announcing her decision to grad-transfer from the Robert Morris women’s basketball program on March 10, Megan Callahan has found a new home and a familiar one to her former team.

Callahan announced on Twitter that she is transferring to Youngstown State for the upcoming season, RMU’s closest geographical Horizon League opponent.

Youngstown State compiled a 10-8 overall record this season including a 9-7 mark in conference play, losing to Milwaukee 77-68 in the first round of the Horizon League tournament on March 2.

YSU and RMU split their season series in Moon Township on January 29-30, with the Colonials taking game one 61-46 with the Penguins bouncing back from a 12-point deficit in game two, resulting in a 71-64 victory.

Callahan totaled 14 points and four steals over the course of the weekend against Youngstown State, now climbing aboard the Penguins’ iceberg.

In 88 total games with Robert Morris, including 52 starts, Callahan averaged 5.9 points and 1.7 rebounds-per-game over four seasons. She shot 36.7 percent from behind the arch and totaled 100 career assists and three-pointers made.

Her most successful year as a member of the Colonials came during the 2017-18 season, starting 32 of her 33 games played and averaging career-highs in points (9.0), rebounds (2.2), and assists (1.2) in over 30 minutes of action.

Callahan started 12 of the 16 games she appeared in for head coach Charlie Buscaglia during her redshirt-junior season this winter, guiding RMU into their first season of Horizon League competition after transitioning from the NEC in the summer.

Thanks to an extra year of eligibility granted to athletes on October 15 by the NCAA due to lingering effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, Callahan could play in Youngstown and against the Colonials for the next two seasons. She could become a considerable asset and key piece to the Penguins’ success in 2021-22, with transfers across the country likely receiving one-time immediate eligibility going into next season.

Callahan became the fourth RMU women’s basketball player to transfer from the team this season, joining Isabella Posset (St. Francis Brooklyn), Riley Arrigo (California University of Pennsylvania), and Trinity Papamandjaris. Since deciding to grad-transfer, Dahomée Forgues, Yasmine Sifaoui and Holly Forbes announced their plans to leave Robert Morris, with Forbes also grad-transferring with one season of eligibility remaining.

Robert Morris concluded the unique and fan-prohibited 2020-21 season 4-13 overall and 4-12 in their first go-around with a new set of conference opponents, dropping their last game of the season to Northern Kentucky 68-54 in the first round of the Horizon League tournament.