Robert Morris to host Pitt in first game at UPMC Events Center

UPMC Events Center, coming in 2019. Photo Credit: (Robert Morris University)

Logan Carney, Sports Manager

MOON TOWNSHIP — As first reported by Pittsburgh Sports Now, the Robert Morris men’s basketball team will play their first game at the UPMC Events Center against the University of Pittsburgh Panthers on November 12, 2019. It will be the 31st time in history that the two programs have met, with Pitt hosting and winning all of the previous 30.

“We’re extremely thrilled to open the UPMC Events Center against the University of Pittsburgh,” said Robert Morris head coach Andrew Toole in a press release put out by RMU Athletics. “Going up against a quality, local opponent from the Atlantic Coast Conference that is extremely well coached is a great opportunity for our program. The opening of our new arena with our first game against the Panthers will be a historic day not only for our program but for the Robert Morris University community and the region.”

The last time these two programs met was in 2011 when Pitt defeated Robert Morris 81-71 at the Peterson Events Center on November 27th of that year.

“Playing in the inaugural game at RMU’s new venue is a terrific opportunity for our program to face a quality non-conference opponent in what is sure to be an outstanding road environment,” said University of Pittsburgh head coach Jeff Capel in the press release. “Coach Toole has built a very good program and we are excited to help RMU open their new building.”

According to the press release, the tickets for the game will be on sale on April 8th at 10:00 a.m. on ticketmaster. Students will get into the game for free, but the public is required to buy season tickets in order to gain a ticket to the game against Pitt.

The Panthers finished this past season, the first under current head coach Jeff Capel, with a record of 14-19 while the Colonials (18-16) currently sit in the second round of the CIT. They have played their home games this season at the Student Recreation and Fitness Center at the North Atheltic Complex, which they will continue to do so as the team hosts Presbyterian (19-15) on Sunday. The CIT seeds their team based on Ken Pom rankings and hosts teams are determined by who is willing to pay to host, so it is unclear who Robert Morris will take on if they were to win and where that game would take place.