Men’s Basketball Drops “Ugly” Game to Wright State at Home

The Colonials dropped to 1-5 in conference play after falling 101-76 to Wright State Wednesday night. Photo credit: Michael Deemer

MOON TOWNSHIP – Conference play has not been good for the Colonials this season, as they came into this game with a 1-4 record in Horizon League play.

The Colonials were sleepwalking at the beginning of this game as Wright State opened up the game with a perfect 9-9 from the floor, which opened up a 17-4 lead early on for the Raiders. From that point forward, Wright State did not look back as they walked away with the victory. The Colonials fell in this matchup by a score of 101-76.

The last time the Colonials got 100 put on them since 2021 and the second straight game the Raiders have scored triple digits, scoring 106 on Saturday against Purdue Fort Wayne.

On the first two possessions, RMU turned the ball over, and that seemed to set the tone for the first half. In the first half, the Colonials would be down 21, mostly due to poor defense from RMU.

Head Coach Andy Toole spoke on those two turnovers to start the game.

“They are not a team that creates a ton of turnovers,” Toole said. “Three of our first four possessions were turnovers and 11 for the game. It’s something that we talked about. You can’t hurt yourself by robbing yourself of offensive possessions like we did tonight. The message doesn’t seem to be getting through.”

In the first half, Wright State shot 23-32 for 71.9% from the floor, and the Raiders would accompany that by also shooting 80% from behind the arc and 100% from the free throw line, going 4-4.

To start the game, the defense seemed all over the place, with Wright State having its way with everything. The Raiders would even succeed in the paint, scoring 28 points in the first half.

“It’s not the first time they have done it. It’s disappointing knowing that we talk about it going into the game, and we can’t try to negate it,” Coach Toole said. “A couple of those situations where we are not back in transition and not communicating to not give any resistance at the start is frustrating.”

Being down by a wide margin at the break, Head Coach Andy Toole had to send a message in the locker room for the players to come out and play with fire. To start the second half, RMU showed more intensity and, for second-half standards, made it a close game.

Coach Toole spoke about what his message was at the break.

“What are you about? It’s a pride check at that point. The fact that the pride thing doesn’t start earlier is a frustration, but that was the message,” Toole said.

In the second half, the arena saw more of a performance for the Colonials, where they could put together some consistent possessions on offense and get some stops on defense. Ultimately, it was too late for RMU to return to the game.

Coach Toole had some thoughts on why his team could put together more consistent possessions.

“They are a good team. Obviously, they did put together a big lead, and any time we put a couple of stops together, you just felt like you were putting a Band-Aid on a bullet wound, and eventually, they were going to score. We didn’t fight to stand up and handle all the challenges they presented as an offensive team.”

The Colonials were led by Stephaun Walker, who had 18 points and eight rebounds. Robert Morris shot just under 40% at 37.1% from the floor. On the other hand, Wright State had four players in double figures, with Tanner Holden leading the way with 29 points.

The Colonials will return to the court Friday, Jan. 12, to face off against Purdue Fort Wayne, with tipoff set for 7 p.m.