Colonials to Travel Down I-79 for the Mountaineer Invitational

Cam Wickline
The Colonials will face North Dakota State, Old Dominion, and West Virginia in the Mountaineer Classic

The Robert Morris volleyball team will travel to Morgantown, W.Va., for their fourth and final tournament of the year, where North Dakota State, Old Dominion, and West Virginia await.

Second-year head coach Danny Doherty and his team sit with a 3-5 record following last week’s Mason Invite. The Colonials would defeat Radford but fall to Brown and George Mason.

Game one for the Colonials in Morgantown will be against North Dakota State, with first serve at 12:30 p.m. on Thursday. The Bison currently sit with a 6-2 record thanks to the play of senior outside hitter Ali Hinze. She now leads the Bison with 102 kills with a 3.29 kills per set. Hinze is also a top defender on the team, where she is third with 93 digs on the season, averaging three per set. The Colonials are 0-2 all-time against the Bison, last facing off in 2014.

The second match will be against Old Dominion on Thursday at 3:30 p.m. The first-time foe for the Colonials currently holds an even 5-5 record. The player to watch on the Monarchs is lethal server Teresa Atilano. Atilano leads the team with 19 aces so far for the Monarchs. The Colonials have only given up 36 aces in the season while picking up 50.

The final game will be against host West Virginia on Friday night with a 6 p.m. first serve. The Mountaineers sit a game below .500 at 4-5. West Virginia has been a defensive team, as they hold 80.5 blocks, averaging 2.4 per set. Sophomore Tierney Jackson leads the Mountaineers in blocks with 43 on the season. The closest is Maddy McGrath, with 26 blocks. The Colonials are 3-8 against West Virginia all-time, with their last meeting in 2017.

A key player to watch on the Colonials will be Abby Ryan. The senior from Orchard Park currently leads the Colonials in kills with 122. Ryan also leads the Horizon League per set with a 4.07, and she shows the Colonials in kills with 122. To beat the defensively sound opponents this weekend, the Colonials will need to be sound on the offensive side of the ball and find a way to win some of the close sets they have seen in recent matches.

This is the last time the Colonials will sharpen their tools before they turn to conference play, where a home opener with Wright State is just around the corner.