Kevin Plowcha April 16, 2024

Scrappy Colonials Take Down Oakland, Win Back-to-Back Home Games

Payton Hostetler

MOON TOWNSHIP– Robert Morris took on Horizon League foe Oakland at the UPMC Events Center. On Friday, the Colonials took down the Golden Grizzlies. Oakland swept the Colonials in the previous matchup on Sept. 23, but RMU returned the favor by winning three sets to one.

The Colonials were on fire to start the first set; at the time of the first timeout, the Colonials were up 11-4. The Colonials picked up where they left off, as they have been doing well at home lately.

After the timeout, the Golden Grizzlies scored the last five of six points, and the momentum shifted halfway through the set to bring the score to 14-10. Oakland responded well to the Colonial’s early domination, and they eventually closed the score deficit to two.

Freshman Natalie Stepanovich made an incredible play to keep the point alive. The Colonials ended up taking the set 25-17. Natalie Stepanonovich had a great first set, recording eight kills in the opening frame.

Set two started as a shootout as both teams kept it close. The Colonials have been making stellar plays to keep the ball alive. The effort the team puts in on these rallies is noticeable.

The Golden Grizzlies started to run away as they went up by four points going into a Colonials timeout. The Colonials needed a great rally if they wanted to win the set. The Colonials called another timeout, and they got two straight points out of the timeout.

The colonials rode a 3-point run and cut the deficit to two. The Scrappy Colonials were on the ropes and have fought back into the set. Robert Morris lost set two 25-23. The second set was very close as they were both now tied at one set win each

The third set started like the second; the teams kept the score close. The Colonials turned a switch, taking control of the momentum as they went up by five. The Golden Grizzlies looked defeated as the Colonials rose, but it was still early. At the timeout, the Colonials were up by seven points.

The Golden Grizzlies started to cut into the Colonial’s lead. However, Natalie Stepanovich came in with a nasty spike to stop their momentum. Oakland eventually tied the match at 19 a piece, and Azra Eric had a great kill to take the lead back.

The third set was a nail-biter towards the end, but ultimately, the

Colonials prevailed and took the third set 25-21. They now lead the set count 2-1 and look to clinch the match in the fourth set.

Oakland started the fourth set, firing on all cylinders as they entered desperation mode to stay in the game. Set four followed the theme of the previous sets as the game was close, and both teams have been battling.

Ashleigh Wallin got back-to-back service aces as they took back the lead. The energy of the Colonials is showing, and they are feeding off the crowd’s energy once again. Natalie Stepanovich has taken over the game, and the Colonials took a commanding lead over the Golden Grizzlies.

The Colonials took the fourth set 25-16 as Stepanovich called the game with a service ace. This tops off Stepanovich’s great game.

“We had a very specific plan for Oakland as they took it to us when we first played them at their place, and we took that as an insult,” Coach Doherty said. “I think that was a beautiful thing. We keyed in a couple of important areas.”

The team responded accordingly to their last match and got their revenge against a divisional opponent.

The colonials look to keep up their momentum at home as they return on Saturday, Oct. 21, at 4 p.m. against Cleveland State.