Robert Morris Suffers First Loss of Season to Hobart


Eric Swaggerty has a goal and three assists in the loss to Hobart Photo credit: Tyler Gallo

Cameron Macariola

MOON TOWNSHIP– Robert Morris (3-1) looked to remain one of the seven teams undefeated in the NCAA as the Colonials faced familiar Northeast Conference foe Hobart College (3-2) at Joe Walton Stadium. The Colonials ultimately fell short as the Statesmen came out victorious in Saturday’s matinee by a score of 14-12.

The Colonials had a slow start in the first half. Some unprecedented play by ASUN defender of the week Nate Randall and the Robert Morris defense found themselves in a 5-2 deficit after the first quarter.

On the opposite side of the field, Hobart’s goaltender Loukas Sotiropoulos looked on top of his game stopping three of the five shots on the net in the first quarter.

“There was a lot we need to clean up,” head coach Craig McDonald said. “I think we were a little undisciplined all over the field, and when you’re undisciplined and make some uncharacteristic mistakes, then a team like Hobart will take advantage.”

McDonald spoke on the Statesmen’s play.

“Right up the gut, they’re great,” McDonald said. “When they’re winning all the faceoffs and making a ton of great saves in the cage, it’s a really tough team to beat.”

In the second quarter, Hobart opened up with a three-goal run led by their leading goal scorer Anthony Dattellas and his 14th goal of the season.

Late in the second quarter following a Taggart Clark penalty, the Colonials got a big-time save from Randall. Robert Morris would kill the man advantage, and after being released from the side Clark made an illusive move to shake the defender and rip home a shot high.

This sparked a Colonial surge and two late goals by Liam Keane and David Burr brought the Colonials down by two at the half.

Despite giving up a goal to start the second half the Colonials, with another timely save by Randall, would rattle off two goals by Elliot Holden and Eric Swagerty. Hobart would respond with an answer of their own.

Midway through the fourth quarter, the Colonials would claw their way back with back-to-back goals by David Burr to force Hobart to use a timeout with 8:56 remaining.

The Colonials would have a costly turnover that led to Hobart with two goals in a row by Chad Bach and John Jude Considine.

Colonials would answer with a Will Johannson goal and a goal from Burr to bring them within one again.

Robert Morris would gain the zone and call a timeout to draw up a play with 3:38 remaining. Hobart would make the defensive stop which allowed a Bradley Simas goal from a tough angle with 1:35 remaining to steal the win for the Statesmen.

McDonald spoke about his team’s performance.

“When you dig a hole it’s hard to come out,” McDonald said. “It’s a game of runs. We were able to put ourselves in positions to get right into it and win it.”

The Colonials will be in action again next week as they will travel to High Point University before they begin ASUN action the following week.