Robert Morris Looks to Repeat ASUN Success After Capturing First Title in 2022

The team looks to repeat as ASun Champions and punch its ticket to second consecutive NCAA Tournament Photo credit: Tyler Gallo

Finn Lyons

Robert Morris’ 2022 campaign was certainly a campaign to remember. Winning the ASUN championship in their first season in the conference, punching their ticket to their third NCAA tournament in school history.

A repeat is on everyone’s minds, but there is always the thought of a looming championship hangover. Head coach Craig McDonald believes in his team and his coaching to handle this phenomenon.

“If we take care of the day-to-day work,” McDonald said. “The guys come out here with a good attitude. They take care of each other and just focus on getting better every day at the little things. We’ll see where the chips fall.”

With the loss of three of their five top scorers in Corson Kealey, Jake Boudreau, and Dan Taddeo, the biggest question for the Colonials’ team is the offense.

“There’s been a lot of guys that have stepped up, pushing and working really hard… We’re looking for some younger guys to be able to do the same [as Taggart].”

The Colonials certainly have some questions heading into this season and we will see if the Colonials can regain the magic from last year.

Games to Watch

February 11 @ Bucknell 3 p.m.

The first game of a season is always a must-watch game. Last season Bucknell defeated the Colonials 14-12 at Joe Walton Stadium. Bucknell has already played their first game of the season, blowing out Mercer 20-6. After losing to Bucknell last season and the power they showed in their first game, the Colonials started off the year with a tough test.

March 18 vs Jacksonville 2 p.m.

Jacksonville last season played some of the toughest competition and still managed a 14-3 record. Despite this, the Colonials have a very good overall record against Jacksonville 5-2 all-time. This is the first ASUN conference game of the year so the added pressure falls on the Colonials facing a powerhouse at home.

April 8 vs Utah 12 p.m.

The rematch of the ASUN championship game should be on everyone’s calendar. During the regular season last year, Utah crushed the Colonials 18-8 but when it mattered, the Colonials took home the championship 18-17. Utah will certainly be out for revenge, and with this game, so late in the season, it could determine seeding for the ASUN tournament. It is also the first time that former Robert Morris head coach Andrew McMinn and former Robert Morris Attackman Jimmy Perkins, now a volunteer assistant coach with the Utes, will make their first trip back to Moon Township.

Players to Watch

Taggart Clark, Graduate Attack

Taggart Clark had an offensive outburst last year, the team’s leading scorer tallying 65 points on 48 goals and 17 assists.

Clark said how ready he is to repeat his performance this year. He will have to lead the offense for the Colonials to have a chance to repeat.

“I’m ready to do the same thing with my boys”

Owen Down, Graduate Defense

A stud on defense, Owen Down looks to repeat his great season on defense to help the Colonials shut down opponents. The veteran defenseman looks to help the underclassmen on the team to keep the program’s success alive.

Down was named ASun All-Conference Team and received the fan vote for Conference Defensive Player of the Year.

“We’re just trying to pass on what we’ve learned and what we’ve gone through here at Robert Morris. Just trying to spread our experience and knowledge to them and set them up for the best success they can have moving forward.”

Down caused 18 turnovers while also picking up 33 ground balls in his senior season last year.

Nate Randall, Sophomore Goalkeeper

To fill one of the most important positions in sports as a freshman is a tall ask. Nate Randall stepped up last year for the Colonials as a freshman goalkeeper.

Randall appeared in 16 games last season, posting 11.96 goals against average and a .507 save percentage in his freshman campaign.

Now having this experience coming into this season, Randall is expected to have a bigger role on the team. If Randall can continue to improve his play the Colonials will have a great team on the defensive side of the field.

Record Prediction 10-4, ASUN back-to-back champion and NCAA Tournament agreeance.