RMU Alum Tavin Harville Reflects on College Career and Experience at Steelers Training Camp

Ethan Morrison

Harville set for a snap in their game against Charleston Southern on October 9, 2021

Aiden Dine

Tavin Harville was a standout cornerback as a Colonial and came to Moon Township in 2017 via the transfer portal. He transferred to RMU from Eastern Michigan after redshirting his freshman year. Harville discussed his decision to transfer to Robert Morris after his freshman year.

“I had a couple of other options, but I felt RMU was the best fit for me to get on the field, and I did like the city when I got there.”

Harville got on the field right away as a redshirt freshman playing in 11 games at wide receiver. He managed to get 14 catches for 259 yards and one touchdown as a redshirt freshman. However, after 2017, a new coaching staff was brought in, and Harville switched to cornerback.

Harville described the impact that the new coaching staff had on his experience as a player.

“When the new coaching staff got there, that’s when I switched over to the defensive side.”

Harville would spend the 2018 season refining his technique in his new position.

Harville at Steelers camp
Harville at Steelers camp Photo credit: Pittsburgh Steelers

After spending a year working on his craft, Harville earned a starting corner spot in 2019 and racked up 13 pass deflections, three interceptions, 42 tackles, and a fumble recovery.

The 2020 season was shortened due to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, Harville believes the unprecedented circumstances still benefited him.

“I actually feel like it helped me develop another year because I had just switched to corner and had just played one full season at corner.”

In his last season as a Colonial, Harville had six pass deflections, two interceptions, and 30 tackles.

Following the year, Harville announced he would enter his name into the NFL Draft.

Unfortunately, after 262 selections, Tavin never heard his name called. However, Harville received a phone call from the local Pittsburgh Steelers for an opportunity on the rookie minicamp roster.

When asked to compare the Steelers camp to the RMU spring camp, Harville said that they are different and challenging in their own ways.

“The crazy thing is the college camp was a little bit harder, more fast-paced, more tempo. At the Steelers camp, it was more calmed down, more technique work, more position work.”

Harville described that he was able to form connections with players at the camp, including quarterback Kenny Pickett and fellow defensive backs Cory McCoy and Leandro DeBrito.

Harville strives to become the best version of himself as a leader and player.

Harville has overcome a position change and a pandemic to get to where he is today and is hungry for more. He hopes to continue playing football professionally and is looking to get into another training camp next year or join a league such as the XFL, USFL, or CFL.