Robert Morris falls to Delaware in the opening round of the NCAA men’s lacrosse tournament


Tyler Gallo

Dan Taddeo tries to run by Aidan Fritz of Delaware in Robert Morris’ 20-8 loss. Photo credit: Tyler Gallo

Cameron Macariola, Sports Multimedia Editor

NEWARK, Del.– Robert Morris men’s lacrosse (10-6,4-1 ASUN), coming off of their ASUN title thriller against Utah, looked to continue their momentum in the NCAA opening round tournament as they would face off against the University of Delaware (12-5, 3-2 CAA).

In the first quarter, the Blue Hens found their stride early as they would jump off to a 3-0 lead on the backs of Tye Kurtz and JP Ward.

After a turnover and pass by Taggart Clark, Corson Kealey would respond with a goal. The goal would not falter the Blue Hens, but another three goals past Nate Randall.

The Colonials would put Ben Savick in net to start the second quarter, but he would take a delay of game penalty, which the Blue Hens would cash in. This would be one of many penalties the Colonials would take on the night.

The Blue Hens would push the pedal to the metal and tally and make it 10-1 before a late goal by Taggart Clark would look to spark momentum for the Colonials for the second half.

Colonials would get an early possession, but a dominant performance by Delaware’s goalkeeper Matt Kilkery would continue the freight train that was Delaware tonight.

The Blue Hens would score several goals to go up 13-2 before Robert Morris Corson Kealey and Elliot Holden would tally two goals for the Colonials.

The quarter ended after another splurge of Blue Hen goals, one being a highlight reel behind the back goal by Clay Miller to extend their lead to double digits.

In the final fifteen minutes of the Robert Morris season, the Colonials would not go down after rattling off four straight goals. Corson Kealey completed his hat-trick, and Colton Lidstone and James Leary would add their names to the score sheet.

When the final horn sounded, the final score was 20-8 in favor of the Blue Hens.

This season was a great showing of what’s to come for the Colonials lacrosse—giving them a final record of 10-6 under first-year head coach Craig McDonald and defeating their former head coach to win the ASUN conference championship its inaugural season.