Robert Morris kicks off Horizon League Tournament against Green Bay

Ethan Morrison, Assistant Sports Editor

YOUNGSTOWN, OHIO — Robert Morris is set to begin postseason play on the campus of Youngstown State Wednesday afternoon when they take on Green Bay at noon.

These two squads met back at the end of April in Moon Township when the Phoenix took both games of the doubleheader by a final score of 3-2 in both contests.

RECAPPING THE COLONIALS

After posting a 27-19 overall and a 16-9 record in conference play, the Colonials head into the Horizon League Softball Tournament. They also got off to their best start in program history this season, winning nine of their first 10 contests.

The Colonials enjoyed bundles of success in just their second season in the Horizon League as they posted their best record in program history since 2013. They also had four different players selected to the All-League teams as Erika Bell, Taylor Rhinehart, Meadow Sacadura, and Alaina Koutsogiani, garnered awards.

Graduate student Taylor Rhinehart led the way offensively for the Colonials hitting .307 on the season with 42 hits, five home runs, and 24 RBI.

Meadow Sacadura was a redshirt freshman who spent her true freshman season at Maryland before transferring to Robert Morris. Sacadura’s impact was immediately felt when she stepped behind the plate and caught 11 players stealing throughout the regular season.

Her presence was also felt at the plate throughout the season as she hit an even .300, tallying 24 hits, four doubles, two home runs, and nine RBIs.

SCOUTING THE PHOENIX

Green Bay comes into the Horizon League Tournament sporting a 24-23 overall record and a 15-10 record in conference play, coming in as the team’s five seed.

Robert Morris will have their hands full in this one as the Phoenix have three players in their lineup that hit over .350. Throughout the season, Alicia Peters, Tiffany Giese and Jadin Justman are hitting .398, .377, and .355, respectively.

Peters led the team in hitting throughout the season with 43 hits overall, nine doubles, 12 home runs, and 26 RBI.

Brittany Baneck has been the Phoenix’s ace on the mound all season, compiling an 11-10 record, a 3.30 ERA, a 1.32 WHIP, and 125 strikeouts in 124 innings of work on the season.

The Colonials’ bats have been suffering as of late as the offense has been hard to come by. If they want to have any shot of advancing deeper into the tournament, the bats will have to return to their early-season form.