Robert Morris to travel to Delaware for NCAA Tournament play-in game

Ethan Morrison

After defeating Utah Saturday in the Atlantic Sun Championship game in overtime, Robert Morris sets its sites on Delaware Wednesday in a first-round play-in game in Newark. Photo credit: Ethan Morrison

Nathan Breisinger, Editor In Chief

After winning the ASUN Conference Championship and securing an automatic bid to the 2022 NCAA men’s lacrosse tournament, the Robert Morris Colonials are set to face Delaware in a play-in game on May 11.

Robert Morris (10-5, 4-1 ASUN) returns to the NCAA Tournament for the first time in three years after they made back-to-back appearances in 2018 and 2019.

The Colonials are coming off of an 18-17 overtime upset against the Utah Utes in the ASUN Tournament. RMU stayed locked in until the end when they were finally able to break through and take down the Utes thanks to an Elliot Holden overtime goal.

First-year head coach Craig McDonald has stepped into the role nicely and guided the Colonials through a rigorous non-conference schedule and helped the team post a 4-1 record in the inaugural season in ASUN play. RMU also redeemed their lone conference loss against Utah with the aforementioned championship title.

RMU has a committee of individuals who made a significant impact on the team this season. Jake Boudreau was named Midfielder of the Year in the ASUN. He also led the team with a seven-goal effort in the championship game of the conference tournament, earning himself ASUN championship MVP.

Boudreau, along with Corson Kealey was named to the ASUN Conference First Team. Taggart Clark, who led the Colonials with 47 goals on the season, Owen Down and Bo Columbus all earned ASUN Conference Second Team honors. Goalkeeper Nate Randall, who split time with graduate senior Ben Savick, earned a spot on the ASUN Freshman Team.

The Colonials enter their tournament appearance with a strong group of contributors and a stifling defense that could help them move past the play-in game.

As for their opponent, Delaware went 11-5 overall and 3-2 in the Colonial Athletic Association. The Blue Hens claimed their first CAA title since 2011 after taking down Drexel in the semifinals and Towson in the championship game.

Delaware is led by a pair of top-30 goal scorers with Mike Robinson (48) and Tye Kurtz (43), along with sophomore JP Ward, who leads the Blue Hens with 62 points and was named to the All-CAA First Team.

Another key piece for the Blue Hens is Owen Grant, who repeated as the CAA Defensive Player of the Year and was also named to the All-CAA First Team as he caused 26 turnovers on the season, placing him in the top 25 players in the nation.

Robert Morris will travel to Delaware on May 11 with a start time still TBD.