Women’s basketball adds four recruits to program

Women’s basketball gained four new recruits on National Signing Day. Photo Credit: Thomas Ognibene

Austin Bechtold

Robert Morris women’s basketball added four new players to the program on Tuesday as a part of National Signing Day.

Coach Charlie Buscaglia gained National Letters of Intent from three guards and one center to factor into the Colonials’ new era in the Horizon League.

RMU signed guards Janeira Scott, Jazmyne DeShields, Alejandra Mastral, and center Danielle Vuletich for the class of 2021, coming to campus for the 2021-22 academic and athletic year.

Scott was named an All-State Second Team selection in Delaware last season. She was a major part of Woodbridge High School’s four straight DIAA Division II championships and a conference title in 2020. The guard from Bridgeville, Delaware averaged 15 points, five rebounds, eight assists, and an eye-popping seven steals per game as the focal point for her team. Scott shot 65% from the field and played her AAU basketball for the First State Warriors.

Jazmyne DeShields hails from Memphis, Tennessee, and played her high school ball at St. Charles High School, capturing a district title in her sophomore season. She has found great success on the court, breaking the school’s single-season records in both assists and three-pointers made in only her second year in the program. DeShields was named to the All-District First Team and All-Region Second team during her time at St. Charles, with the chance to add on to her legacy in her senior season. She will join a handful of skilled guards for the Colonials.

Mastral announced her commitment to Robert Morris in a tweet on October 23, adding to the recruiting success of RMU and Spanish athletes. The guard will head to Moon Township from Zaragoza, Spain after taking part in the Spanish National Championships from 2014-2020. She earned the honor of Best Female Basketball Athlete for her club tea, Stadium Casablanca in 2016 and as well as Best Female Basketball Promise in 2017 for the state of Aragon. She also captured the MVP award of the MHL International Tournament for Stadium Casablanca after winning the tournament. She joins senior Laura Carrasco, junior Esther Castedo, and freshman Yasmine Sifaoui as Spanish players the Colonials have added to their team in the past five years.

Finally, Danielle Vuletich has the shortest distance to travel to play for the Colonials. The center from Berlin Center, Ohio, near Youngstown, has been a successful high school player in her first three years. She was named to the All-State Team three times and was the All-County Player of the Year last season. She averaged 21 points and 12 rebounds per game for Western Reserve High School as a junior. She holds numerous records at Western Reserve including career points (1,287), rebounds (308), blocks (94), and points in one game (41) with her senior season yet to play. After centers Nneka Ezeigbo and Irekpitan Ozzy-Momodu graduated and transferred, respectively, Sifaoui is the only listed center on the roster. The Colonials’ depth at the position will add a talented potential star in Vuletich.

Robert Morris begins their first season in the Horizon League on December 12 on the road at Cleveland State following a 23-7 overall record and 17-1 conference record in the program’s final season in the Northeast Conference.

To stay up to date on everything women’s basketball and all things Robert Morris athletics, be sure to visit the CSN home page and follow @RMU_CSN on Twitter.