Men’s soccer looks to snag first win of the season at home

David Auth

Photo Credit: David Auth

Owen Krepps, Contributor

MOON TOWNSHIP– The Robert Morris University Men’s soccer team (0-4) is headed back home, having just come off of trips to Cleveland and Philadelphia. The team is still looking for its first win of the year, having gone 0-2 in the RMU/Duquesne tournament, as well as losing to Cleveland State (1-0-1) 4-0, and La Salle (2-1) 3-1.

Recapping the Colonials

RMU has been outscored by large margins already in this young season. With the departure of Winter Fondi, the team has had to rely on three goalkeepers thus far; senior Christian Snatchko, sophomore Grant Glorioso, and freshmen Mike Zolnierczyk. The three combined have allowed 14 goals resulting in a .632 save percentage.

On offense, the Colonials are struggling as well with only two goals being scored on the season. These were by Christian Coridon against Oakland, and Christopher Coridon against La Salle. RMU is averaging 0.50 goals per game, whereas their opponents are averaging 3.5 goals a game. The Colonials only have 29 shot attempts on the season, which compared to the opponent’s average of 76, is concerning.

Granted, these games have been against tough opponents. Head coach Bill Denniston stated that he projected that these two first games in the RMU/Duquesne tournament would be, “the hardest two games of the year.” Those matchups were against Oakland (2-1-1) and Bowling Green (3-0-1).

Looking at California Baptist

Another non-conference foe will take on the Colonials, this time, the opponent will be California Baptist (1-2-1), who will come to the North Athletic Complex on Thursday. The team went 9-9-1 with a 5-6 conference record last year. They were led by Judd Preston, who led the team in goals with 15 and points with 32. So far in this young season, they have defeated Purdue Fort Wayne (1-3) lost to UC Riverside (3-0) and Oral Roberts (3-1) and have tied IUPUI (1-1-1).

Players to watch

The Coridon twins, Robert Morris

With such an up and coming team, there needs to be some sort of leadership to show the underclassmen how to adapt to college soccer. Enter Christian and Christopher Coridon, who are entering their senior season with Robert Morris. The only goal scorers on the team so far, these two brothers are pivotal for the development and success of RMU men’s soccer’s future. Look for them to have yet another strong game against California Baptist.

Tete Vacas, California Baptist

California Baptist has its fair share of studly offensive producers. This season their top goal scorer through four games has been Tete Vacas. Vacas has two of the team’s six goals as well as two assists for a solid six points already. Surprisingly though, he has been held scoreless for two straight games and still has these statistics. The junior from Baena, Spain will certainly look to generate more offense against the Colonials come Thursday.

Goalkeeping has been an area that RMU has struggled with early on in this season and I don’t think it is going to end soon. California Baptist is a greatly skilled and offensive team and I believe they take advantage of RMU’s goalie situation and win 3-0.