Preview: Women’s Soccer takes on Canisius

Owen Krepps, Contributor

MOON TOWNSHIP– The Robert Morris University Women’s soccer team (0-2-1) is now over a week into their regular season schedule, having tied Purdue Fort Wayne 1-1 and losing in overtime to Bucknell 2-1. A loss on Saturday to Niagara (2-1) continued their slow start out of the gate. The Colonials will now set their sights on Canisius (1-1) for a 1:00 pm meeting at the North Athletic Complex.

Previewing the Colonials

As is the case for college soccer, the Colonials have been battling in some close one-goal games thus far. Offense is now a much harder task this season without the likes of Jane Schleicher, who had an astonishing 13 goals last year in her senior season. The Colonials have had goal scoring this year already by senior Kristina Kelley, as well as freshman Sheridan Reid.

Looking at Canisius

Early on, Canisius has defeated Hampton and lost to Elon, with both games being separated by one goal. Their only goal scorer so far has been Luca Fahmer who has the team’s only goal, which was scored against Hampton. Last year, Canisius owned a 4-8-5 overall record that led them to miss the playoffs in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC). They lost four seniors with Paige Buscaglia, Emily Czechowski, Emily Kuta, and Melanie Linsmair leaving in the offseason, and although not in the NEC (Northeast Conference) like the Colonials, they have a familiar type of team to RMU. Both teams are towards the bottom half of their respective conferences but have young talent on the roster that could develop down the line.

Players to watch

Sydney Bruckner, Goalkeeper, RMU

Bruckner has appeared in all games so far for the Colonials, having started in the game against Bucknell and splitting the second game against Purdue Fort Wayne. In these two games, she has already racked up 13 saves. Most of these saves came in a clutch fashion. Bruckner was solid coming in for Julia Schmid against Purdue Fort Wayne and was named the NEC’s primer performer for week one.

Margaretta Dry, Forward, Canisius

Now a senior, Dry is looking to establish herself as a solid scorer in college soccer. Her freshman year saw her tally a solid 20 points with eight goals, but since then she has gone dry as her name implies. Last year, in her junior season, she had three points with one goal and an assist. In the games already played this year, Dry has 2 shots on goal showing that she is ready to become the scorer that she once was.

Robert Morris has lost three straight meetings with the Golden Griffins dating back to the 2015 season. I believe that this streak will end Monday afternoon as Bruckner and the Colonials will shut out Canisius 1-0 with a lone goal from Kristina Kelley.