Men’s basketball season tickets sold out, student seating plan announced yesterday

Photo credit: Katey Ladika

Logan Carney, Sports Manager

MOON TOWNSHIP — Yesterday, RMU Athletics sent out an email to students regarding the new seating plan for the men’s basketball team during the 2018-2019 season when they play at the Student Recreation and Fitness Center at the North Athletic Complex. In the email, they stated that they will only be letting in the first 200 students. Also stated in the email, a valid freedom card is required for entry to the games.

The email also announced that students who are over 21 years of age will be admitted to the 1921 Club VIP Area before the game starts. As stated in the email, “Included in the 21 club will be complimentary food and beverage, while also having the opportunity to network with RMU supporters.”

Student tickets are limited, but they are also free of charge. As for alumni, the only tickets being sold were season tickets, and RMU Athletics announced earlier today that they have been sold out.

As first reported by Omari Sankofa of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, RMU Athletics spent around $90,000 to increase the total number of seats from 700 to 1,000 in the Student Recreation and Fitness Center at the North Athletic Complex.

The men’s basketball team is playing their home games at the Student Recreation and Fitness Center at the North Athletic Complex after hosting teams at PPG Paints Arena and the A.J. Palumbo Center last year. According to the NCAA website, RMU drew 9,951 total fans last year in the two areas. That is an average of 765 per game. PPG Paints Arena has their capacity listed at 19,758 while the A.J. Palumbo Center has their capacity listed at 4,390.

The Student Recreation and Fitness Center will play host to both the men’s and women’s basketball teams this season after playing host to the women’s volleyball team earlier this fall. All three of those teams will move to the UPMC Events Center once it is finished. Earlier this year, RMU announced that the UPMC Events Center will be completed in time for the 2018-2019 commencement ceremony.