Colonials finish seventh at Tom Tontimonia Invitational

Golf ball near green. Image Credit: Golfible

Jonathan Hanna, Golf Beat Writer

WESTLAKE, Oh.- The Robert Morris Colonials men’s golf team (+62) finished seventh overall in the Tom Tontimonia Invitational at Lakewood Country Club. The Colonials finished the three-round tournament with a combined score of (+41), which was 24 shots back of the Dayton Flyers (+103), who won with a +17.

The Flyers were led by Domenic Maricocchi, whose tournament score of -1, was good enough to tie for fourth overall. However, Will Kurtz, an individual playing for the Kent State Golden Flashes (-9), had the best tournament, finishing seven-under-par, four shots ahead of second place.

Kyle Grube had the low tournament for the Colonials, as his 220 was good enough for a +7, and a tie for 13th. Grube finished the tournament with five birdies. One stroke behind Grube was junior Max Palmer. Palmer’s +8 placed him in a tie for 18th place, and in round one, he birdied three out of his last five holes.

After an even round one, freshman Chase Miller finished in a five-way tie for 42nd, at a +14. Miller shot a +3 back nine over the course of the whole tournament. David Szymanski and Bryce Gorrell both finished tied for 49th with a +16. Szymanski shot a 76 in the first two rounds, and Gorrell finished with six birdies.

Nicholas Mihalo played independently for the Colonials and tied for 49th. In his second round, Mihalo shot a +4.

The Colonials next outing is the Titans Motown Collegiate, hosted by the Detroit Mercy Titans. It takes place next Monday and Tuesday at Prestwick Village Golf Club.