Preview: Colonials clash with Bison and Penguins in weekend series

Adam Melluso, Contributor

The Robert Morris women’s soccer team (1-5, 0-0 NEC) looks to rebound from a five-game skid as they host the Howard Bison (1-4, 0-0 SWAC) for a 4:00 p.m. match-up this Friday at the North Athletic Complex. Then the Colonials head to northeast Ohio for a 1:00 p.m. kickoff against the Youngstown State Penguins (1-3-2, 0-0 Horizon League).

The Bison are coming off a 4-3 loss on the road at Longwood (2-3-1, 0-0 Big South Conference). Of note for Howard are their two leading scorers Aleeya Sawyer and Jasmin Miller. Forward/midfielder sophomore Sawyer has two goals so far this season and has 328 total minutes. Miler also has two goals and has registered 205 minutes of playing time.

The Penguins are also coming off a 6-0 blowout loss at the hands of the Akron Zips (4-2, 0-0 MAC). YSU is struggling to get production on the offensive side of the ball even more than Howard. They have only three goals so far on the season and are led by freshman midfielder Samantha Mazula, who is highlighted with a .571 shot on goal percentage.

On RMU’s side of the court, the Colonials are coming off a 4-2 loss at Valparaiso (6-2, 0-0 Missouri Valley Conference). Despite the setback, Robert Morris has one of the hottest players on their roster in terms of offensive production. That honor goes to senior midfielder/forward Jane Schleicher, who leads the team in goals and points with five goals and ten points on just 18 shots. If there is one player who can truly bring the heat and put the ball in the back of the net, it’s Schleicher. She will need to be on her game to propel RMU to victory in both contests this weekend.