Records highlight end of season victory for RMU


Kyle Gorcey

Robert Morris used a hat trick from Brady Ferguson and a 27 save performance from Francis Marotte to put away RIT Saturday night.

Josh Yost, Sports Reporter

For the final game of their regular season careers, Greg Gibson and Zac Lynch went out with a bang. Gibson tied Lynch for second all-time in goals scored, while Lynch tied Cody Wydo for first in all-time points at Robert Morris.

“There’s been a lot of high-caliber players to come through RMU, so to be able to have our name anywhere in the record book is pretty humbling and I think that’s for both of us,” said Lynch. “Obviously, both of us have worked pretty well together so we have to thank each other a lot for both things.”

The Colonials managed to win the game 6-2, scoring at a factorial rate through the periods with one in the first, two in the second, and three in the third. Canisius held tight with Robert Morris, only behind one through the second period and tied in shots, but the Colonials were able to pull away late.

In term of intrigue, the game found itself with an ooing and ahing crowd just over halfway through the first period. Cody Boyd for Canisius was hit by Brandon Denham hard enough that his stick shattered in half, and he appeared to follow it’s lead. He regained his posture for a moment, and held the broken stick, but continued to fall as he stumbled in circles, before the referee finally blew the play dead.

There was an immediate media timeout, which led to Boyd exiting the ice to the locker room, and the trainers running to follow him.

Five minutes later came the first goal of the game, a snipe by Greg Gibson. With a pass coming from Zac Lynch on the powerplay, he leaned into the defender on the right side. His shot fired into the goaltender’s five-hole, which he sprawled to stop. He kicked the net off, but the puck had trickled through and made it in. The referee determined a review was not necessary.

The goals continued to astound and amaze the crowd later on, as Denham scored a one-timer off a face-off and David Friedmann had two goals in the second period with strong blasts. Gibson eventually scored in the third again, stealing the puck at the blue line and going on a breakaway. Just as he was about to be caught by the three trailing defenders, he fired the shot blocker side for an unassisted goal.

He scored on the empty net as well, from across the ice in his own defensive zone.

As for penalties, the only ones of note were game misconducts later on. Cody Boyd returned to the game in the second period and was called for spearing and removed from the game. Matt Cope, later in the game, was called for a game misconduct for yelling at the referee from the bench. Following the game, head coach Derek Schooley echoed his usual concerns saying his players need to “shut up.”

Terry Shafer stopped 31-of-33 shots to earn the victory in the contest on a night in which they saluted the outgoing class of seniors. There were nine seniors on the Colonials this season.

“We wanted to honor the seniors, and we can honor them with our play,” said Schooley. “That’s the only way we can do it is to make sure we sellout and prepare for the playoffs. But to honor the seniors by providing a great effort, and effort that would propel us into the playoffs.”

Robert Morris clinched the regular season Atlantic Hockey Conference championship the night before, and will have a bye next week before entering the playoffs.

“Any time you can win a couple games in a row, it’s obviously exciting and prepares us in the right state of mind heading into the playoffs,” said Schooley.