Coach Grove, Women’s Lacrosse Face Top-Ranked Boston College at Home

The+Colonials+will+play+in+a+once-in-a-lifetime+experience+against+the+%231+team+in+the+land+at+home.+
Cam Wickline
The Colonials will play in a once-in-a-lifetime experience against the #1 team in the land at home.

You heard that right.

The number one team in the nation in the Inside Lacrosse Coaches Poll is coming to Moon Township Thursday afternoon to face Robert Morris.

This is the highest ranked opponent in program history, let alone on home turf.

“The RMU women’s lacrosse team and coaches are looking forward to Thursday’s challenge against Boston College,” RMU Vice President and Director of Athletics Chris King said. “The players and staff are excited to host the top-ranked team in the country.”

The Colonials are no stranger to ACC foes, showing a 1-5 record against the conference. The one win came against Louisville in a 13-12 victory in 2018.

First-year head coach Courtney Grove has a tall task after an 0-2 start to the season, including being shutout 15-0 against Cincinnati this past Sunday.

“We are very excited,” Grove said. “This is a great opportunity to play a top team in the nation on our home field. The game will be tough but it will also be one that the girls will remember and be able to learn and grow from.”

It is very unusual for a team like BC to come play on the road against a small school like Robert Morris, but in the eyes of both parties, it seemed to be a win-win.

The Eagles play their conference rival Pitt on Saturday and they needed a game to fill their schedule. For Robert Morris, Coach Grove and her staff did not want another road game so both teams decided to “piggyback” the Eagles’ Pittsburgh trip and welcome them with open arms.

This matchup is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for the players, coaches, and the school. This is a similar experience to 2013 when blue blood Kentucky’s men’s basketball team played in Moon Township for the National Invitation Tournament.

“This is a great opportunity for the program, school, and athletic department,” Grove said. “To have a top tier program come onto campus, truly allows young players from the area to come to the game and not only see Boston College but us, as a team and university, as well. We hope we can continue to host top programs on campus to not only allow ourselves to get better as a team/program but to allow young players to see these teams play here in their hometown.”

Boston College has had incredible success in recent years. The Eagles are the reigning ACC champions and more impressively have made the last seven National Championship games, winning just one of them in 2021.

Senior Belle Smith is a player you’ll see a lot of at the Joe. She was named ACC Preseason Midfielder of the Year and was on the Preseason USA Lacrosse Magazine All-American First Team.

Smith was one of nine Eagles named as a Preseason All-American and the only one to make first team. She was the only player in the nation last season with at least 50 goals, 30 assists, 30 ground balls, 25 draw controls and 15 caused turnovers and was named All-American.

Senior attacker Kayla Martello leads the ACC and tied for 15th in the country with 11 goals on 16 shots in just three games. She scored 61 goals in 2023 and also became All-American. The Rockville Centre, N.Y. native is currently riding a 30-game goal streak, dating back to 2021. She also was an All-American in 2023.

While this matchup looks like a David vs. Goliath, the Colonials are hungry for their first win under a new coach and get the ball in the back of the net once again.

The #1 Eagles and Colonials will face off at the Joe at 1 p.m.