Men’s Hockey Doubled Up by #20 RIT Tigers

Photo credit: Payton Hostetler

NEVILLE TOWNSHIP- After a tough series against Minnesota Golden Gophers, Chad Veltri and the other Colonials looked to bounce back against the 20th-ranked RIT Tigers.

The first period started slowly as both teams were putting pucks on the net, but there was no capitalization on the shots. The first penalty was committed by Dallas Tulik, which sent RIT to a power play, but the Colonials killed him. Both teams had great shots, but the Colonials went onto a five-on-three powerplay at the six-minute mark.

Soon after, the Colonials committed another penalty, but they still had the man advantage; at the six-minute mark, they went onto a five-on-three powerplay. Then the Colonials committed another penalty but still had the man advantage. RMU surrendered a goal late in the first period to RIT defenseman Gianfranco Cassaro.

The second period started off rough for the Colonials. They let up two goals to the Tigers’ high-powered offense. RMU showed signs of life as they had great scoring opportunities but could not capitalize on them. Then the time finally came.

About 13 minutes in, George Krotiris was able to capitalize and put the Colonials on the board.

The Colonials failed to convert on a late power play, but Cameron Garvey scored a goal to bring the Colonials within one. A few seconds later, the Colonials surrendered another goal, after they surrendered another goal.

The third period was relatively quiet as both teams had yet to produce anything. Things looked to have changed when the Colonials went onto the power play and instantly converted to bring the Colonials within one.

However, the Tigers got that goal back as they scored to go up by two again. RIT scored on the powerplay to bring their lead to three in the 3rd period, and the Colonials fell to the Tigers 6-3.

Robert Morris was able to put up three goals, but it was not enough to get the win.

Coach Schooley spoke on the goal-scoring opportunities.

“I thought we were good in spurts. The thing that hurt us tonight was the penalty kill.”

The Colonials gave up three powerplay goals in the loss.

Robert Morris is back in action to rematch the RIT Tigers at the Clearview Arena tomorrow at 6 p.m.