Kevin Plowcha April 16, 2024

Colonial Hockey Foundation Sees Work Pay Off As Hockey Returns to RMU

Taylor Roberts
The Colonials returned to the ice for the first time since February 2021 on Saturday

After two years of dedicated and strenuous effort, the RMU hockey teams are triumphantly returning to the ice. Their enduring supporter, The Colonial Hockey Foundation, graced both home openers with their presence.

Previously known as the Pittsburgh College Hockey Foundation, this organization has forged a strong partnership with Robert Morris University, even playing a pivotal role in orchestrating the Celebrity Hockey Classic.

“The Colonial Hockey Foundation is steadfast in its commitment to enhancing the competitiveness of RMU’s NCAA Division I men’s and women’s ice hockey programs, representing Pittsburgh’s college hockey teams. To achieve this, our foundation concentrates on fundraising, promotion, awareness, and fostering connections with alumni and the community,” explained Jim Vitale, the treasurer of the foundation.

Reflecting on the past years and the realization of their hard work, Vitale remarked, “It’s a surreal feeling to witness a small group of people come together and accomplish something significant. This is no small feat either, so it’s incredibly gratifying.”

As both games took center stage on Oct. 7, The Colonial Hockey Foundation stood ready to cheer on their beloved Colonials. Vitale expressed his anticipation, saying, “I’ve been following RMU Hockey since its inception… So, to finally see them play after two years is incredibly exciting.”

One particular game that has captured the attention of many fans is when the Men’s team hosts the Arizona State Sun Devils on December 16 and 17. Vitale echoed this sentiment, sharing, “I’m looking forward to all the conference games, but one that I think will be especially enjoyable is when the men’s team hosts Arizona State.”

Vitale also wanted to add a message for the student body.

“Come out and support them. They are going to make you proud.”

For more information about the Colonial Hockey Foundation, check out their website RMUHockey.com.