Colonial Sports Network

Colonial Sports Network

Colonial Sports Network

Colonial Sports Network

Colonial Sports Network

Photo credit: Cam Wickline
TJ Wainwright Enters Transfer Portal
Kevin PlowchaApril 16, 2024

On Tuesday afternoon, reporter George Michalowski announced that Robert Morris men's basketball guard TJ Wainwright has entered the transfer portal. Wainwright is the fifth...

Colonials Drop Horizon League Opener Against Wright State

Cam Wickline
The Colonials dropped their conference opener against Wright State three sets to one.

MOON TOWNSHIP– The Robert Morris volleyball team (3-9, 0-1 Horizon) welcomed last season’s Horizon League champions, Wright State (5-7, 1-0 Horizon), to the UPMC Events Center to open the season. The Colonials fought hard but fell to the champs by a score of three sets to one.

Wright State definitely overlooked the Colonials in this matchup to start the game, as the Colonials came back early from an eight to four deficit to go on a nine three run to take the lead against Wright State in the first set. The Colonials showed fire in the first set and Wright State on their heels.

“We had to play aggressive and that aggressiveness kept us in the first set.,” Head Coach Danny Doherty said. “A couple of things go our way, and of course that’s why you play the game. The first is ours and the game would be different.”

The Colonials would then win set two by a score of 25-22. The Colonials did something that very few teams do, as they won a set against Wright State. Wright State dominated Horizon League play during the regular season last year, so this was a huge accomplishment. The last time Wright State lost a set during the regular season was Nov. 1, 2022, but the Colonials turned some heads and won the second set.

The third set was no exception. Even though the Colonials lost, the fight that this team showed was crazy. Robert Morris played with a chip on its shoulder after being ranked last in the conference for the pre season poll. They lost set three by a score of 25-21, but the Colonials proved that they do not go away.

Set four is one that you wipe away and forget about. Sometimes it happens. Wright State kicked into gear and realized they can not mess around with Robert Morris. It was tough as well with both timeouts gone early, and Robert Morris could not find any mojo in set four. This match was tough as they were without Abby Ryan and Ally Christman.

After today, freshmen on the squad Natalie Stepanovich and Azra Eric will have a bright future at Robert Morris. Both were impressive with 11 kills for Eric and 10 kills for Stepanovich. Division three transfer Rosina Esposito had eight kills to her name as well.

Esposito has quite literally come out of nowhere for this program and will definitely will be a vital part to the team this season. Coach Doherty talked further about the freshman Eric.

“She is getting comfortable. She has been successful before coming here,” Coach Doherty said.

The Colonials turned some heads after this game against Wright State and will look to continue their great play this weekend as they play Cleveland State at 6 p.m.