Men’s Soccer Drops Second Straight Match in Horizon League Home Opener

Samantha Dutch
The Colonials 1-0 loss to IUPUI is their second consecutive loss after starting the season unbeaten

MOON TOWNSHIP– The Colonials looked to open up conference play 2-0 and improve their record to 4-1-2 as they took on division foe, the IUPUI Jaguars (2-3-1). The Colonials dropped their second game in a row with a 1-0 loss.

The game started off relatively slow, with both teams only having eight total shots with no goals. Most of the game until halftime was played in the middle of the field, with RMU having 60% of possession with no pressure on the net. The Colonials had many slow starts to begin the season. Colonials goalkeeper Josh Lane made two fantastic saves to keep the game tied at the half.

IUPUI opened up the scoring at the 62nd-minute mark, with Josemir Gomez chalking up the opening goal to erase the tie. With 13 minutes remaining in the game, the Colonials made a round of substitutions to see if they could change the game’s pace. The Colonials were putting pressure on the Jaguars but needed help executing.

The Colonials struggled with set pieces, which was an instrumental reason for struggling in this afternoon’s game. RMU started the first half very slowly, which proved to be harmful.

“We train them every day; it comes down to taking that preparation into games,” Coach Jonathan Potter said following the match.

The Colonials look to get back into the win column against Horizon League foe Milwaukee on Sept. 23 at 2 P.M.