Women’s Soccer Carries Undefeated Record Into Home Opener

Ellie Whittington
The Colonials are off to their best season in program history, being victorious in all four games to start 2023

After opening the season on a four-game road trip, the Colonials will finally come home to play the home opener today at 4 p.m.

After the Colonials’ most recent win against Saint Francis this past week, the program has begun its season with four consecutive wins for the first time, making it the best start in program history to open up a season.

Along with achieving the best start in program history, the team broke another record by not allowing a goal in over 357 minutes.

Their success has also been their offense. RMU has outscored their opponents 11-1 in their first four games to start the season.

Head coach Chris Shaw leads the team and is back for his fourth season. Also returning is second-year assistant coach Brianna Murgi and goalkeeper coach Erik Eisenhut is back for his fifth year with the team.

The Colonials have been on fire to start this season, with two players already being named Horizon League Player of the Week. In week one of the season, goalkeeper Brenna Murray was named Horizon League Defensive Player of the Week after posting two clean sheets and making ten saves in those two wins.

Also earning Player of the Week honor was graduate forward Lidia Nduka, who, in week two, was named Horizon League Offensive Player of the Week for tallying three goals in two games. She increased her total to five goals on the year, leading the Horizon in that category.

The whole team has been contributing, making it a complete start to the season, with sophomore Renae Mohrbacher leading the team in assists with three. Also producing to start the season is Haleigh Finale, Taylor Day, and Kaoru Hayashi, who have all put in a tally of one goal and two assists each.

The Colonials are back in action for their home opener this Thursday at 4 p.m. when they play Indiana State, marking the first time the programs will play each other.