Men’s Soccer Settles for Draw Against Niagara

Samantha Dutch
Despite outshooting Niagara 20-6, the Colonials settle for a 1-1 draw

MOON TOWNSHIP– Coming off of a dominant 5-0 win on Thursday against VMI, the Colonials look to start their season unbeaten against Niagara. Despite outshooting the Purple Eagles, the game ended in a 1-1 draw.

“It’s tough,” head coach Jonathan Potter said postgame. “We just played a few days ago and try to keep the guys fresh. Once the game starts going through a lot of regen and video. We try to show a number of clips to the team on what to expect today. It was tough, and I thought they did well in aerial duels and second balls.”

After the first 20 minutes, there were ten fouls between the two teams, proving quickly it to be a physical matchup. At the 37-minute mark, there was a great shot by RMU forward Chase Gilley, which Niagara keeper Jamie Barry saved.

The game was a stalemate and both teams had been grinding, with Robert Morris putting the ball on the net but unable to finish.

Midfielder Giovanni Covelli scored the opening goal within the last ten minutes of the half, the team’s first shot on goal.

The match had been scrappy, with Robert Morris generating many chances with no luck. Robert Morris trailed Niagara at halftime and could not capitalize on scoring opportunities. Niagara’s goaltender Barry also made it hard for the Colonials to get one into the net. Robert Morris’s defense has also been strong despite allowing a goal.

The Purple Eagles also had a few great opportunities, but freshman goalkeeper Kieren Gorgenyi stood firm and made great saves. The Colonials had been outplaying the Purple Eagles despite the score.

Nolan Hutter scored the lone Colonial goal against Niagara (Samantha Dutch)

The Colonials outshot Niagara 20-6 and had seven shots on goal compared to Niagra’s three.

To open the second half, there were two more shots on goal by the Colonials and two fouls committed by each team. The match’s second half was heated as tensions rose between the two groups.

There were 25 fouls, 15 for Niagara and 10 for RMU. Niagara’s Giovanni Covelli was red-carded and left the match in the 85th minute.

The Colonials had a strong shot on goal, but it hit the post. Able to redeem themselves, less than a minute later, Nolan Hutter scored the equalizing goal at the 67-minute mark. The momentum was brought back to the Colonials as they continued to pressure the Purple Eagles’ defense.

Robert Morris brings in fresh legs at the 73-minute mark of the game. Kai McLouglin had a great chance in the 78th minute, but it went far left.

The Colonials head on their first road trip of the season to face Bucknell on Friday, Sept.1, at 7 p.m. for their third fixture. The team will get much-needed rest before they head into their next matchup.