Volleyball Enters Into Second Season Under Danny Doherty

Sydney Riker
Head coach Danny Doherty enters his second full season as head coach of the Colonials

After a tough 2022 season, the Robert Morris volleyball team looks to bounce back strongly in 2023. The team finished the 2022 campaign with a 9-21 record and a 2-16 record in conference play in the first season under head coach Danny Doherty.

Last year, the Colonials started 6-3 after the first three invitationals to kick off the year. Regression followed as the year continued, including six- and seven-game losing streaks. The team is looking to make a comeback within the Horizon League with the help of their lower and upperclassmen.

The Colonials were placed last among the nine Horizon League teams in the conference preseason poll and look to exceed expectations in 2023.

Kaitlyn Brown shined as a freshman, coming fifth in the Horizon League in assists per set with 5.62. (Sydney Riker)

The team had a handful of players who shined despite the adversity faced, as senior outside hitter Abby Ryan led the team in kills with 322, which was fifth in the Horizon League.

Sophomore setter Kaitlyn Brown was ranked fifth in assists in the Horizon League. Brown started only 13 games for the Colonials and had 18 consecutive games with double-digit assists, including a season-high 47 against IUPUI.

SCHEDULE SNEAK PEEK

The Colonials open the Newark, Delaware season at the Blue Hen Invitational on Aug. 26 versus Loyola (MD). They will play Niagara and Delaware throughout the weekend.

This year, the team opens up at home at the RMU Chick-fil-A Robinson Labor Day Volleyball Classic. They start against Canisius on Sept. 2 at 11 a.m. at the UPMC Events Center.

After a few weeks of invitationals, the team will open up Horizon League conference play against Wright State at home on Sep. 19 at 6 p.m. The Colonials look to improve their in-conference play, something they have struggled with since joining the Horizon League in 2020

GAMES TO KEEP AN EYE ON

The first game that should be on everyone’s watch list is the bout between intrastate rival Youngstown State. The two will play on Oct. 13 at 6 p.m. at the UPMC Events Center, as the return game will be in Ohio for the Colonials’ final regular season game.

Another matchup circled on the calendar should be the match between the intercity team. Duquesne. The last time these two teams faced off, Robert Morris beat the Dukes three sets to two. These two teams face off on Sept. 2 at 6 p.m. at the UPMC Events Center, part of the Chick-fil-A Robinson Labor Day Classic.

Danny Doherty’s Colonials will kick off their 2023 campaign on a clean slate on Friday, Aug. 26, in Newark, Del., versus Loyola (MD).