Robert Morris Head Coach Jason O’Keefe Steps Down After Three Seasons With Program

O’Keefe speaks to the media following their game against Northern Kentucky on September 10 Photo credit: Evelyn Luthringer

Michael Deemer, Sports Editor

Robert Morris University men’s soccer head coach Jason O’Keefe announced Thursday that he has resigned as head coach of the program.

The announcement comes days after the Colonials made an appearance in the Horizon League Tournament for the second consecutive season.

O’Keefe shared a statement in a press release by the program.

“This has been a very difficult decision for me as I love college soccer,” O’Keefe said. “I have loved coaching student-athletes that have been successful both on and off the field for 22 years. In the end, I have been away from my son, Jonah, who lives in North Carolina, for too long. My love for him can’t be matched, even by college soccer.”

O’Keefe was named RMU head coach in November 2020 and oversaw the program’s transition to the Horizon League.

In his tenure, O’Keefe had four student-athletes earn postseason accolades from the Horizon League., as defender Noe Bijou was named to the 2021 All-Horizon League Freshman Team.

In 2022, three Colonials earned All-Horizon League honors, Kelvin Ramirez and Bryan Akongo, who each were named to the 2022 All-Horizon League Second Team. Meanwhile, rookie Viktor Koah, earned a spot on the 2022 All-Horizon League Freshman Team.

Robert Morris Vice President and athletic director Chris King expressed his gratitude to O’Keefe on Thursday,

“We want to thank Coach O’Keefe for his dedication and service to RMU,” King said. “With the hire of Jason as the leader of the men’s soccer program two years ago, he made an immediate impact in all phases, including leading the team to the Horizon League Tournament the past two years. I’ve watched Jason every day with admiration in building the men’s soccer program, and I witnessed first-hand the efforts, dedication, commitment and competitiveness of the program. We can’t thank him enough for his service and leadership. We understand and respect his decision to spend time with Jonah and want to make clear that Jason will always be welcome and have a home at RMU and within the Moon Township community.”

O’Keefe spoke on time he has been away from his family.

“I would like to thank the players and coaching staff. As difficult as my time away from my son has been, they’ve been the support system that has allowed me to thoroughly enjoy our time together. I’m sad to leave before things get really fun, as both the student-athletes and coaching staff work as hard as any I have had the pleasure to be associated with. Big things are ahead for this program, and I will be back to witness its future success as a fan.”

The Colonials will now begin a national search to find its next head men’s soccer coach.