Robert Morris men’s lacrosse secures win over Marquette


James Leary is lifted up by his teammate after his goal late in the third quarter on Saturday. Photo credit: Tyler Gallo

Cameron Macariola

MOON TOWNSHIP– It was another windy day at Joe Walton Stadium as Robert Morris men’s lacrosse team (3-4) took on Marquette (2-5) Saturday afternoon.

The Colonials came off a tough loss versus High Point but bounced back into the win column after defeating the Golden Eagles 10-7.

The defense was the name of the game today as the game started tight as the teams would go back-and-forth. Marquette opened the scoring, but Eli Doyle and Corson Kealey answered for RMU.

Marquette tied it, but with 12 seconds left in the quarter, Kealey found the back of the net to give the Colonials the 3-2 advantage through the first 15.

The second quarter started with a Marquette response before Ben Starkey would score his first of two on the day.

Ben Starkey has scored a goal in five consecutive games. He spoke about his recent success.

“We’re getting more chemistry, getting used to our sets,” Starkey said. “We’ll dodge, bounce, and there’s a guy wide open on the back side, and that just happens to be me.”

Taggart Clark gave the Colonials a two-goal edge, but before the end of the half Marquette made it a one-goal game.

At the half, the Colonials switched goalies. Nate Randall started in the crease and Ben Savick played the second half. Coach Craig McDonald gave his thoughts about the performance of the tandem.

“They played great. It was the first time we [switched goalies this season]. They both answered the call,” McDonald said. “They both give us a little something different. It gives us a spark, and they are great energy guys that make us play hard.”

In the third quarter, Taggart Clark notched two goals for the Colonials to complete his hat-trick. Colton Lidstone also put his name on the scoresheet, and to end the half with four seconds left, James Leary ran the length of the field to pot in a spectacular goal.

The defense of the Colonials didn’t let the Eagles’ offense fly as they only gave up three goals in the entire second half. Coach McDonald had a lot of praise for his defense.

“I think they’ve played well over the last couple of games. It’s a process for us, for everyone to come together as a group,” McDonald said. “This is a testament to their hard work this week and preparation. I’m glad to see it pay off for them.”

In the final quarter, Starkey picked up his second goal of the day and sealed the deal for another Colonial victory.

Robert Morris’ next game will be next Saturday as they return to the Joe to face in-state opponent Drexel. These teams are no strangers to each other, with Drexel holding the upper hand all-time, winning 7 of their last 8 matchups against the Colonials.

Ben Starkey echoed that sentiment of the game being an emotional one, as Drexel has handed the Colonials big losses in Philadelphia each of the last two seasons.

“This is a revenge game for us,” Starkey said. “The past two years [playing Drexel] haven’t gone our way, so we’re going to come out hard.”