Kahliel Spear named to Academic All-America second team

Kahliel Spear charges towards the basket against Youngstown State. Photo credit: Justin Newton

Ethan Morrison

When it comes to being a student-athlete, juggling athletics and classwork can be a tall task for some, but not for senior forward Kahliel Spear as he was named to the Academic All-America second team by the College Sports Information Directors of America.

Spear noted what a tremendous honor receiving the recognition was.

“Honestly, itโ€™s a great feeling, itโ€™s always nice to be recognized not only on the court but off of it as well,” he said. “This helps me set a positive example for those who look up to me, and hopefully show others that you can succeed in both aspects of being a student-athlete.”

Spear becomes the first RMU basketball player in school history to garner Academic All-America status. The selection also marks the fifth straight year that the Colonials have had an Academic All-American.

“Being the first men’s basketball player at the university to receive this honor is special,” Spear said. “There are generations of history that have passed through RMU, and to be able to set this standard is special to me, and hopefully sets a trend for the future.”

Spear, an economics major, has a cumulative GPA of 3.92 and was also named to the Horizon League All-Academic team and Horizon League Third Team.

Spear was a studious student in the classroom and had a career year on the hardwood, leading the team in scoring and rebounding, averaging 14.7 points and 7.7 rebounds per game. He also shot 55 percent from the field, which led all players in field goal percentage.

Spear is now the 15th student-athlete in the athletic department’s history to receive the honor, dating back to 2004.