Danny Doherty named Robert Morris volleyball head coach

Danny Doherty looks on against Duquesne in the Chick-Fil-A Robinson Classic. Photo credit: Tyler Gallo

Michael Deemer

Following the departure of longtime head volleyball coach Dale Starr, associate head coach Danny Doherty took his place for the final four games of the lackluster 2021 campaign.

On Friday, Robert Morris University Athletics named Doherty the next head coach of the RMU Volleyball program.

RMU Vice President and Director of Athletics, Chris King, expressed his excitement.

“We’re excited for Danny Doherty to extend his leadership with the volleyball program as our next head women’s coach,” King said. “He has demonstrated the passion and commitment for the future of RMU volleyball that our student-athletes deserve and expect in their next head coach. Danny is a person of the highest integrity, and he cares deeply about the holistic development of our student-athletes. His ability to connect with people and fit in our culture at RMU, as well as our student-athletes belief in his coaching and mentoring, set him apart as we went through the search process.”

Doherty, a native of Akron, began his tenure as a volunteer assistant for two years before being promoted to assistant coach two years later, and in 2020 he was named associate head coach for the Colonials.

In his role, Doherty’s main duties included coaching the defense, scouting and recruiting, often going over strategy with the team in timeouts.

After taking over as the interim head coach on November 4, he went 0-4 but looks to improve on the disappointing 2021 season. Doherty showed his excitement in a press release.

“I’m both thrilled and excited to be named head coach of the RMU volleyball program,” Doherty said. “I’d like to thank RMU Vice President and Director of Athletics Chris King, as well as the entire search committee, for this opportunity. As an alum, RMU is a special place with a lot of special people, and to have the chance to run a program I’ve been a part of for over a decade is an honor. I’m looking forward to building on our tradition of success and developing our student-athletes on the court, in the classroom, and as part of the community.”

This marks the start of a new era in the Robert Morris Volleyball program as the team looks to put their first two seasons in the Horizon League in the rearview mirror.