Preview: Women’s hockey to face No. 2 Golden Gophers

Photo credit: David Auth

Tyler Gallo, Contributor

MINNEAPOLIS– The Robert Morris University women’s hockey team (8-8-1, 6-1-1 AHC) travels to the Mariucci Ice Arena in Minneapolis, Minnesota on Friday night for the first of a tough two-game non-conference set at the hands of No. 2 ranked Minnesota (15-2-1, 9-2-1 WCHA). The two games will be televised on BTN Plus.

Recapping RMU

The Colonials will look to build on their recent success, having won their last two contests. They hosted Penn State (7-9-2, 2-6-0 AHC) last weekend for a two-game set. The Colonials picked up a 3-2 win on Friday night, marking their first win since Nov. 3. In the second game, the Colonials won 4-1. Jaycee Gebhard continued to impress over the weekend, putting up a total of five points in the series, with a hat trick in game two.

Scouting Minnesota

Minnesota is coming into the game against RMU having won their last eight. They have outscored their opponents 43-13 in those eight games. Last weekend, the Golden Gophers traveled to Yale where they utterly dominated the Bulldogs. They won a convincing 7-1 game in game one and continued their dominance in game two, winning 3-1. Grace Zumwinkle put up six points to lead Minnesota on the weekend with a five-point game one, where she scored a hat trick and put up two assists.

Players to watch

Jaycee Gebhard (RMU): For the Colonials, continue to watch Jaycee Gebhard. Fresh off of a five-point weekend, she looks to continue her scoring against a tough opponent. Gebhard has a total of 32 points this season and is tied for first in the NCAA with Clarkson’s Elizabeth Giguere. She was also named CHA Player of the Month for the second month in a row.

Maggie LaGue (RMU): Another Colonial to watch is senior defender Maggie LaGue. LaGue put up three assists in the series against Penn State and is currently tied for second with Jincy Dunne of Ohio State and Brooke Hobson of Northeastern for points among defenders in the NCAA with 15.

Nicole Schammel (MIN): For the Golden Gophers, keep an eye on Nicole Schammel. The senior forward put up one goal and three assists against Yale and is ninth in the NCAA with 23 points on the season.

Alex Gulstene (MIN): Another player to keep an eye on in the series is sophomore goaltender Alex Gulstene. Gulstene is undefeated with a 12-0-0 record, a .920 save percentage and a 1.66 GAA, which ties her for 11th in the NCAA with Minnesota’s other goaltender, Sydney Scobee.

With Minnesota riding a nine-game win streak and decimating their opponents in that nine-game span, the Golden Gophers will be too much for the Colonials. Minnesota will sweep the two-game set because of their two great goaltenders.