Weekend sports roundup

RMU fell to the hands of the Spartans Sunday in their final game of the weekend in the Sunshine State.

Ian Kist, Staff Reporter

Softball: USF Under Armour Showcase

Mar. 6:

RMU 4 (8-6), Georgetown 2 (6-6): Robert Morris kicked off their play in the USF Under Armour Showcase in Clearwater, Florida Friday as they beat the Hoyas of Georgetown with an extra innings score of 4-2. Junior outfielder Ashley Gerhart brought home two of her teammates to lead the Colonials in Runs Batted In for the contest, as she was able to earn one hit. Leading the Colonials in hits against the Hoyas were sophomore shortstop Stacey Capp and senior outfielder Tess Apke. Capp and Apke both were credited with one RBI apiece. Nicole Sleith earned her fifth win on her 2015 campaign as she went all eight innings, giving up just two un-earned runs while striking out 13 Georgetown hitters she faced.

RMU 1 (8-7), Maine 5 (5-7): The Colonials couldn’t keep their winning ways in their second game in the USF Under Armour Showcase in Clearwater, Florida as they fell four runs short losing 5-1 to Maine Friday afternoon. RMU saw themselves losing all game, as they did not push a run across the plate until their half of the sixth inning even with out hitting Maine 6 to 7. In the Sixth inning, Stacey Capp singled to get on the bases and two batters later would see herself score as Olivia Lorusso singles to reicve the RBI. It looked like Robert Morris was threatening to score more runs with only one out recorded but were unable to do so. Haileigh Stocks started the game in the circle for RMU. Stocks moved to 3-2 on the season as she gave up five total runs. Nicholette Maderitz made her way into the game in relief and she did not give up any runs while striking out two Black Bears and walking one.

Mar. 7:

RMU 1 (8-8), Toledo 8 (6-10): Robert Morris started their second day of play in Clearwater, Florida in the USF Under Armour Showcase bright and early Saturday as they had a battle with Toledo. RMU did not get what they were looking for. For the second straight game in Florida, the Colonials could only muster one run. RMU’s only run came in the first inning as they answered to Toledo’s first inning run but couldn’t get anything going after that in terms of runs. The Colonials however, did finish with nine total hits. The one Robert Morris run came from the bat of Senior Tess Apke as she singled home a teammate. RMU used two pitchers in the game. Nicholette Maderitz received the loss as she gave up two earned runs in two innings of action. The other Colonial pitcher was Haileigh Stocks who gave up six earned runs over five innings.

RMU 0 (8-9), Dayton 1 (9-8): In their second game of the day, the Colonials lost a tough one-run contest against Dayton. The loss was the Colonials third straight loss in the USF Under Armour Showcase in Clearwater, Florida. The Colonials could not get one run as they only finished the game with two total hits. RMU’s two hits came from the bats of Tess Apke and Samantha Santillo. Nicole Sleith started the game for the Colonials and moved to 5-6 as she suffered the disappointing loss only giving up one earned run on four hits while staying in for the entire game.

Mar. 8:

RMU 6 (8-10), Seton Hall 7 (8-11): In their last game in the USF Under Armour Showcase in the Sunshine State Late Sunday morning, RMU dropped their fourth consecutive loss. RMU found themselves down 4-0 before a four run fifth inning and a two run seventh inning gave them the lead. However, Seton Hall used a three run seventh inning to capture the win over the Colonials. RMU finished with ten total team hits. RMU got multi-hit games from Sophomore Jordan Gurganus and senior Samantha Santillo. Nicole Sleith was in the circle for Robert Morris. Sleith gave up seven earned runs while striking out thirteen of the batters she faced. Sleith moved to 5-7 on the season.

Men’s Lacrosse:

Mar. 7

RMU 12 (1-4), Siena 10 (3-3): The Colonials picked up their first victory in 2015 as they defeated Siena with a score of 12-10 at Joe Walton Stadium Saturday afternoon. In the win, the Colonials received three multi-goal performances from Eric Rankel who scored six goals, Luke Laszkiewicz, and James Rahe scored two goals each. Carter Yepsen also scored a Colonial goal Saturday. Siena Threatened late in the second half but RMU was able to seal the deal with one of Rahe’s goals. Goaltender Chase Rose received his first win in a RMU jersey as he made seven saves.