NCAA DI Council recommends interim policy on name, image and likeness

+Photo+Credit%3A+Tyler+Gallo

Photo Credit: Tyler Gallo

Ethan Morrison

On Monday, the NCAA Division I Council passed a vote to recommend that the NCAA Division I Board of Directors implement a policy that would allow student-athletes to start to compensate off of their name image, and likeness.

If the policy is adopted by the board, athletes can then engage in NIL activities that abide by the laws of the state. The institutions are responsible for determining whether or not the activities that the athletes are engaging in abiding by the state law.

In states without a NIL law, student-athletes can engage in activity without breaking any NCAA rules regarding NIL, and as of June 29, Pennsylvania does not currently have any NIL laws. Athletes can now also use professional services for NIL activities. Finally, student-athletes are required to report all activities consistent with state law to their university.

Multiple states have already passed laws allowing college athletes to profit off of NIL, but today, Ohio became the latest state to do so as Governor Mike DeWine signed an executive order allowing athletes in the state to profit off of their name, image and likeness.

The board will review the council’s policy suggestion on Wednesday, and if approved, in states that have passed legislation, NIL laws will go into effect on July 1.

As for how this affects Robert Morris, if passed, student-athletes at the school would be free to profit on their name, image and likeness in any way they choose. It could also open the door for new staff members, as seen at Duquesne, who recently hired a personal brand coach, Jordon Rooney, who is the first personal brand coach in the country.