PREVIEW: Golf preps for Horizon League Tournament at Wright State Invitational

By Jonathan Hanna, Editor-in-Chief

SPRINGBORO, OHIO– After a rough finish at the Mountaineer Invitational earlier in the week, the Robert Morris golf team looks to rebound this weekend at the Heatherwoode Golf Club in Springboro, Ohio for the Wright State Invitational.

This will mark the Colonials’ penultimate tournament of the season, as next week they head to the Birck Boilermaker Golf Club in West Lafayette, Indiana for the Horizon League Championships.

At last week’s Mountaineer Invitational, Pete Dye Golf Club got the better of the Colonials, as Robert Morris finished 13th out of 13 teams at 83-over par. The Colonials finished 20 strokes behind 12th place Western Kentucky, and 74 strokes behind the winning West Virginia Mountaineers.

Despite struggling as a team, graduate student Kyle Grube continued the streak of now five-straight top-10 finishes for Robert Morris. Grube finished the 54-hole tournament in a four-way tie for seventh at +5. Mark Goetz dominated the tournament for West Virginia, finishing at 12-under par, the only golfer to finish below par.

Luckily for the Colonials, Heatherwoode Golf Club is not the same beast as Pete Dye Golf Club. The course is a 6,754-yard par-71 course located 45 minutes north of Cincinnati. The 348-yard, par-4 13th is a key hole to look out for, as it is lined by a lake on the right side of the fairway.

The last time the Colonials were at the Wright State Invitational, was in 2019, when the Colonials finished 11th out of 12 teams, shooting a 54-over 754 for the tournament. Max Palmer was the lone spotlight in the tournament, as he finished in a tie for ninth at +4.