PREVIEW: Colonials look to extinguish red-hot Flames

Softball is geared to go against UIC. Photo Credit: Ethan Morrison

By Ethan Morrison, Assistant Sports Editor

MOON TOWNSHIP, Pa.– After their early-week doubleheader against Northern Kentucky was canceled, Robert Morris (16-10, 11-7 Horizon) looks to continue their hot streak as they host a four-game set against the UIC Flames (16-12, 13-5).

Recapping the Colonials

The Colonials have been hot as of late, winning six of their last seven games, taking three out of four against Purdue Fort Wayne. The series was a tooth-and-nail fight as the Mastodons played the Colonials tough in almost every game. RMU defeated PFW 5-3 in game one, 10-9 in game two, and grabbed a 4-3 extra-inning victory in game three, but dropped the final game of the four-game set 9-5. They had a Tuesday doubleheader against Northern Kentucky canceled earlier this week.

Scouting the Flames

UIC’s flame is burning bright right now as they are currently riding a six-game win streak into the series versus the Colonials. Most recently on Tuesday afternoon, the Flames swept the IUPUI Jaguars 6-1 in game one of the twin bill action and a 3-2 extra-inning victory in the second game. The one concern with UIC is their record on the road as they are 4-6 compared to their 10-0 home record.

Natalie Higgins (LF, RMU) – After a rough series against the Oakland Golden Grizzlies, Higgins got back to what she does best, hitting the ball. After tallying just one hit over four games against the Golden Grizzlies, Higgins responded by logging eight hits and three RBI in the series, including swatting a home run against the ‘Dons.

Charlotte Grover (SS, RMU) – Grover has been one of, if not the best freshmen on the roster for the Colonials. She currently is hitting a modest .262 with 18 RBI and four home runs. In the series against PFW, she logged eight RBI, including five in the last two games.

Samantha Ferguson (C/1B, RMU) – The sophomore from Cypress, California is hitting an impressive .375 on the year. In the doubleheader against the Jaguars, she logged two hits and two RBI including a longball on the day.

Tara McElligott (C/INF) – McElligott is batting .273 and most recently hit two home runs against the Jaguars on Tuesday. She looks to continue swinging her hot bat against the Colonials this week.

With this being one of the biggest series of the season the Colonials, they will take three out of four games against the Flames this weekend.