PREVIEW: Colonials look to remain hot against the Norse

Softball looks to remain scorching hot when they take on Northern Kentucky. Photo Credit:

By Ethan Morrison, Contributor

HIGHLAND HEIGHTS, Ky.– After taking three out of four games against Purdue Fort Wayne, Robert Morris (16-10, 11-7 Horizon) is looking to stay hot against a struggling Northern Kentucky team (7-19, 6-12) on Tuesday afternoon for an early-week doubleheader in the Bluegrass State.

Recapping the Colonials

The Colonials have been on a roll as of late, winning six of their last seven games taking three out of four against the Mastodons. The series was a tooth-and-nail fight as the Mastodons played the Colonials tough in almost every game. RMU defeated PFW 5-3 in game one, 10-9 in game two, and grabbed a 4-3 extra-inning victory in game three, but dropped the final game of the four-game set 9-5.

Scouting the Norse

After taking three out of four games against Cleveland State on March 26 and March 27, The Norse were swept on the road by UIC losing games by a margin of four runs in three out of the four games. NKU looks to get back on track in their doubleheader against Robert Morris on Tuesday.

Players to Watch

Natalie Higgins (LF, RMU) – After a rough series against the Oakland Golden Grizzlies, Higgins got back to what she does best, hitting the ball. After tallying just one hit over four games against the Golden Grizzlies, Higgins responded by logging eight hits and three RBI in the series, including swatting a home run against the ‘Dons.

Charlotte Grover (SS, RMU) – Grover has been one of, if not the best freshmen on the roster for the Colonials. She currently is hitting a modest .262 with 18 RBI and four home runs. In the series against PFW, she logged eight RBI, including five in the last two games.

Ella LeMonier (OF, NKU) – LeMonier leads the team at the plate with a .316/.382/.724 slash line on the year. She logged four hits including a double in what was a quiet weekend for the Norse on the offensive side of the ball. She looks to have more success against Robert Morris on Tuesday.

Ava Lawson (OF, NKU) – Lawson has been the Norse’s power source this season, leading the team in round-trippers with seven of them on the year. One of those homers came this past weekend against the Flames, as she logged six hits in the series. She also has hit a solid .308 on the year and looks to continue her success in the two games against the Colonials this week.

With the Colonials’ recent success, I see Robert Morris taking both games against Northern Kentucky by winning game one by a score of 5-2 and game two by a score of 4-3.