PREVIEW: Women’s soccer returns home to Southpointe Fieldhouse for matchup with Cleveland State

Women’s soccer takes on Cleveland State. Photo Credit: David Auth

By Nathan Roberts, Contributor

CANONSBURG, Pa.– The Robert Morris women’s soccer team (1-6, 1-6 Horizon) is set to square off with Cleveland State (4-4, 4-4) on Tuesday afternoon in Canonsburg. Kick-off is set for 1:00 p.m.

Recapping RMU

The Colonials are coming into this one riding a three-game losing streak, with their last win dating all the way back to March 3 against Purdue Fort Wayne (3-4, 2-4). In the duration of this three-game losing skid, the Colonials have just one goal scored by Kaoru Hayashi at the 61-minute mark against Detroit Mercy (2-4-1, 2-4-1). RMU has also been struggling on the defensive end as of late, giving up 11 goals in three games.

Scouting Cleveland State

The Vikings are back to .500 after a 4-2 win over Green Bay last Wednesday. Previously, they were shut out by a score of 2-0 against Northern Kentucky (5-0-1, 5-0-1). Cleveland State found themselves down 2-0 early to Green Bay (1-3 1-3), but a goal from Kathryn Ramicone at the 49:47 mark in the second sparked the Viking offense that would go on to score three more unanswered goals. Cleveland State outshot Green Bay 12-11.

Players to Watch

Kaoru Hayashi (RMU) – The redshirt junior scored the lone goal for the Colonials in the loss to Detroit Mercy. She registered three shots on goal, with some going just wide of the cage. She will need to continue to get shots on goal, hoping they find the back of the net.

Sheridan Reid (RMU) – Reid registered four shots against Detroit Mercy, one of which was on goal. The sophomore from Camp Hill, Pennsylvania has been quiet on the scoresheet this season but has gotten her money’s worth in the shots-on-goal department. Expect her to get good looks against the Vikings on Tuesday.

Stevie Holbrook (CSU) – The senior netminder posts a 1.75 GAA in 2021. She is coming off of her junior season where she fended off 75 shots on goal and had a .798 save percentage. With the Colonial offense struggling, she can be a difference-maker in this contest.

Kathryn Ramicone (CSU)- The freshman from Strongsville, Ohio has made an impact for this Cleveland State squad in 2021. Recently against Green Bay, she scored one goal with five shots total. She has stepped up when her team needed her the most and she can do so again against the Colonials.

I think Cleveland State takes this one 3-1. The Colonials have just been too inconsistent on both ends of the field lately.